HELP! Gender confusion BIG TIME

bullyforme

Chirping
8 Years
May 24, 2011
Trololo farm
HELP! Okay, here is some CRAZY news about my birds. Asking for opinions and any similar experiences/outcomes.

Yawkey - whom everyone seems to think is a pullet - is crowing and acting like a roo.
Elvis - whom I believed with all my heart to be a pullet - is crowing but acting like a hen
Henway - whom everyone seems to think is a roo - is NOT crowing and acting like a hen, very timid

The "crows" are loud, two-syllable "AAA-AAAAAAAAAAAR" type sounds and only in the early morning (between 5 and 7 AM). All four of them are doing the "dominance" dance at different times with each other, with heads down and neck feathers all ruffled, and sometimes pecking each other's heads.

These "gals" are only 10 weeks old (hatched 17 April) so not even close to egg laying age. Is this normal?? Help!!

My post with identifying photos:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=528308

you have very SPECIAL chickens!!!!! LOL i believe you have hens though, i have seen hens act like roosters before. just keep watching them and if you get an egg then you know you have a hen

So...as you may have guessed, I didn't have any crowing pullets. I had 3 roos and a hen! The lady I bought them from said I could bring them back though. So I kept the most "quiet" roo, the little Ameraucana/mille fluer bantam mix, and traded the other two cockerels for another pullet. So now I have two ladies and a gent. He's very low-key and hopefully will stay that way. He usually crows only at dusk (?) and is pretty quiet for the most part. He's actually kind of a wimp - acts much more like a timid hen. My dog got carried away yesterday when I wasn't looking and "went after" the new pullet; instead of trying to protect her, Elvis just screamed and ran under the hydrangeas.

ep.gif

Oh my! My roo crows whenever I approach to remind the girls who is in charge...I have 3, will keep 2 for my 16 pullets...at 13 weeks, time will tell on how he acts, so far, not quite as timid as yours...funny!

Back
Top Bottom