Help! Goat teat got cut and cant milk..

lozeaujo

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2017
I need some advise. My goat that I milk twice a day, somehow cut her teat really badly right in the spot I need to milk her. I washed it clean and put antibiotic cream and butterfly bandage and another bandage on her teat. She of course got them off. I can not milk her because the cut is so bad and deep. I am worried about the milk building up inside if I dont milk her daily. Any words of wisdom on what to do for her cut? or in regards to milking her teat?
thanks

I need some advise. My goat that I milk twice a day, somehow cut her teat really badly right in the spot I need to milk her. I washed it clean and put antibiotic cream and butterfly bandage and another bandage on her teat. She of course got them off. I can not milk her because the cut is so bad and deep. I am worried about the milk building up inside if I dont milk her daily. Any words of wisdom on what to do for her cut? or in regards to milking her teat?
thanks
Can you call a vet to stitch it up?

x2 call a vet. If it that bad and deep, I think it will need to be stitched.

That goat needs to be milked. You can get a box of disposable teat cannulas. You clean off the end of the teat with an alcohol swab and insert one and the milk with drain out. Better yet, see if the vet can give you an indwelling cannula. This one stays in and the milk drains out constantly. Since the milk is washing out all the time bacteria will not cause an infection. By keeping the pressure on the teat and udder relieved it will have a chance to heal. Your best bet is to have the vet stitch up the teat and insert an indwelling cannula.

Back
Top Bottom