HELP! Goose hatch pip w beak “stuck” out !

Well I better bring someone in that can help you they way they helped me when I did my one and only assisted hatch: @MGG, are you available to offer proper assistance.

I wholeheartedly appreciate the help! I have had maybe 10 hours of sleep since Friday nite when I had my first external pip 😝 of the 5 I have hatching!! So I am sitting on my hands and really don’t want to help if I don’t have to ... I just had a gosling hatch and it’s all concerned about its buddy in there LOL.. or the coconut oil lol ...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 26
Not positive for sure when little guy started to externally pip as he started on the side facing the bottom of the incubator floor. Last nite around 9pm I realized he had pipped thru & little beak was “stuck out” or unable to get back into continue to work on the unzipping of the shell. I grew more concerned this morning the membrane around his beak where he pipped out got all yellow/tan in color and I’m so worried about him shrink wrap. So, about an hour ago when I removed one of his dry siblings I carefully chipped away some of his shell and wrapped the bottom of his egg in a damp warm papertowels and put him back in incubator. I’m worried about the little bugger Will he be able to hatch himself like this? He’s chirping and seems active enough... I don’t want to attempt to assist anymore than I have and I was nervous doing that! We have two goslings already hatched and happy with this one and 2 others who are in the process of hatching. Day 31 - my first gosling hatched on Saturday day 29 - second hatched about 24 hours later .. bator temp 99.5 -100. F. humidity thru lockdown/hatch has remained above 70. TIA for any advice!
So it's been around 12 hours since you noticed the pip, correct?
Usually goslings take around 24 hours from external pip to hatch, so if it hadn't been 24 hours yet it probably wasn't a good idea to assist. The general rule of thumb is, don't even attempt to assist until it has been over 24 hours with no progress. If it makes even a tiny pip within those 24 hours, start the count over again from when he made the little pip. And waterfowl rarely need help hatching. They're way stronger than chickens/quail, and unless they're call ducks, you shouldn't have to assist hardly ever.
But since you did already make a hole, it's very important to keep it humid in there. The membrane looks quite dry, despite your humidity supposedly being over 70, so I'm going to guess that your hygrometer is wrong. Did you salt test it prior to incubating? That's the only way to be sure it's accurate.
Many people don't know to calibrate their thermometers and salt test their hygrometers before incubating, so don't feel bad if you didn't. Just be sure to do it before you set more eggs. It's very easy, and such an important step in achieving a good hatch. I can provide links for you too when you're ready to do it.
One other thing, remove the wet paper towels. I know it seems like they would help raise the humidity, but they really don't do much besides chill the baby inside the egg. If the baby is cold, he will become weak, and he will focus on producing body heat instead of absorbing the yolk as he should be. Instead, to boost the humidity, fill all of your water channels, and fill a bowl (tall enough that the hatched goslings can't get in it) with very hot water. You can put a sponge in it too. Then put a piece of hardware cloth over the top just to be absolutely sure that the goslings can't fall in. Once the goslings are dried off I would suggest moving them to the brooder anyway. They don't need to stay in the incubator, they'll just poop in it and make it messy. If you remove them as soon as they're dry, they won't have started pooping yet, so that will help keep your incubator clean. I leave my babies in for only an hour or so before putting them in the brooder, unless I have a weak one or want one to encourage the other eggs.
The oil on the membrane was good, that should definitely help it to not dry out further.
I hope that this helps you, sorry it got so long! :lol:
I think they're going to be just fine. You're doing great keeping such a close eye on them. I know it's stressful right around hatch time, after all that love and care that you gave them during incubation. But there's nothing more you can do right now, the little one just needs to keep absorbing. You'll know he's still absorbing yolk if you see him making yawning motions. Until he's done absorbing, it's not safe to assist. So just be patient, and cuddling your other little goslings will help. ;)
They sure are adorable!!!
Well I better bring someone in that can help you they way they helped me when I did my one and only assisted hatch: @MGG, are you available to offer proper assistance?
Thanks for the tag, Dobie!

Usually goslings take around 24 hours from external pip to hatch, so if it hadn't been 24 hours yet it probably wasn't a good idea to assist. The general rule of thumb is, don't even attempt to assist until it has been over 24 hours with no progress. If it makes even a tiny pip within those 24 hours, start the count over again from when he made the little pip. And waterfowl rarely need help hatching. They're way stronger than chickens/quail, and unless they're call ducks, you shouldn't have to assist hardly ever.
But since you did already make a hole, it's very important to keep it humid in there. The membrane looks quite dry, despite your humidity supposedly being over 70, so I'm going to guess that your hygrometer is wrong. Did you salt test it prior to incubating? That's the only way to be sure it's accurate.
Many people don't know to calibrate their thermometers and salt test their hygrometers before incubating, so don't feel bad if you didn't. Just be sure to do it before you set more eggs. It's very easy, and such an important step in achieving a good hatch. I can provide links for you too when you're ready to do it.
One other thing, remove the wet paper towels. I know it seems like they would help raise the humidity, but they really don't do much besides chill the baby inside the egg. If the baby is cold, he will become weak, and he will focus on producing body heat instead of absorbing the yolk as he should be. Instead, to boost the humidity, fill all of your water channels, and fill a bowl (tall enough that the hatched goslings can't get in it) with very hot water. You can put a sponge in it too. Then put a piece of hardware cloth over the top just to be absolutely sure that the goslings can't fall in. Once the goslings are dried off I would suggest moving them to the brooder anyway. They don't need to stay in the incubator, they'll just poop in it and make it messy. If you remove them as soon as they're dry, they won't have started pooping yet, so that will help keep your incubator clean. I leave my babies in for only an hour or so before putting them in the brooder, unless I have a weak one or want one to encourage the other eggs.
The oil on the membrane was good, that should definitely help it to not dry out further.
I think they're going to be just fine. You're doing great keeping such a close eye on them. I know it's stressful right around hatch time, after all that love and care that you gave them during incubation. But there's nothing more you can do right now, the little one just needs to keep absorbing. You'll know he's still absorbing yolk if you see him making yawning motions. Until he's done absorbing, it's not safe to assist. So just be patient, and cuddling your other little goslings will help. ;)

The I have two gauges one reading 75 one has been 5 degrees above at 80 % humidity and two thermometers - my husband calibrated them properly. Still air incubator and the one at the top of eggs is 75% with the higher reading is lower in the unit about 1/2 way point on the eggs. (If that makes sense) The egg did externally pip on its own I’m not sure when it’s been 12 hours in the same position with the beak out I did put coconut oil on as recommended after I chipped Some of the shell back a couple hours ago. And I’m letting it do it’s thing and the humidity is at 76% atm and been staying consistently over 70%-75% since lockdown ... It’s still moving it’s mouth and making sound but it’s a deeper chirp and different than the other 3 that have hatched before this one. Thank you for your knowledge and taking the time to advise. I’m going to wait it out. The other 3 have all been moved to the brooder so they aren’t punting their still hatching buddies around and pooping everywhere! Lol TYSM 🥰🥰

Last edited:

I had to fully assist the hatch of this little gosling this morning I waited until a full 32 hours with no progression on its own at all. It was malpositioned with his head down under his wing toward the skinny end of the egg and wouldnt have been able to unzip himself. The good news is all the veining was dried up this morning and he was chirping away & wiggled himself right out once I got enough of the shell chipped away.. we now have 5 happy goslings! Thank you so much for all the info and guidance ❤️!! Egg labeled #1 was born on 6/1 LOL 🐣 💜

Attachments

• 260FD46A-2B2A-42A4-8D36-DA7524F1D518.jpeg
    260FD46A-2B2A-42A4-8D36-DA7524F1D518.jpeg
    363.4 KB · Views: 24
The I have two gauges one reading 75 one has been 5 degrees above at 80 % humidity and two thermometers - my husband calibrated them properly. Still air incubator and the one at the top of eggs is 75% with the higher reading is lower in the unit about 1/2 way point on the eggs. (If that makes sense) The egg did externally pip on its own I’m not sure when it’s been 12 hours in the same position with the beak out I did put coconut oil on as recommended after I chipped Some of the shell back a couple hours ago. And I’m letting it do it’s thing and the humidity is at 76% atm and been staying consistently over 70%-75% since lockdown ... It’s still moving it’s mouth and making sound but it’s a deeper chirp and different than the other 3 that have hatched before this one. Thank you for your knowledge and taking the time to advise. I’m going to wait it out. The other 3 have all been moved to the brooder so they aren’t punting their still hatching buddies around and pooping everywhere! Lol TYSM 🥰🥰
Oh I missed this post!!! That all sounds great though.
I had to fully assist the hatch of this little gosling this morning I waited until a full 32 hours with no progression on its own at all. It was malpositioned with his head down under his wing toward the skinny end of the egg and wouldnt have been able to unzip himself. The good news is all the veining was dried up this morning and he was chirping away & wiggled himself right out once I got enough of the shell chipped away.. we now have 5 happy goslings! Thank you so much for all the info and guidance ❤️!! Egg labeled #1 was born on 6/1 LOL 🐣 💜
Awww! You did awesome. He looks great too!!! Good job. 👏
He is so sweet. ❤
Hahaha! That's so cool! Happy Hatchday, little one.

Back
Top Bottom