HELP!!!!! Goslings hatched and I am questioning my Goose/Ganders parenting skills…...

GermanChick

Songster
9 Years
Apr 12, 2010
NW Missouri
My American Buff yearling hatched 7 eggs yesterday. I have two ganders that bonded with her and another female that sits on a nest.

Today the goslings and mom are out and about eating, drinking and enjoying the day. The Gander, Hugo, seems to try keep order and pecks at the little ones, don't know if he is trying to herd them or what is going on. Mrs. Goose is not really sitting on them to keep them warm, the little ones are just laying in the grass all balled together and she is sitting next to them……….. I am worried that they don't really know what to do and are not taking good care of the little ones.
First year with geese and first time hatching geese
I am thinking about separating mom and babies from the ganders with chicken wire.

Any thoughts??????????????????????

My American Buff yearling hatched 7 eggs yesterday. I have two ganders that bonded with her and another female that sits on a nest.

Today the goslings and mom are out and about eating, drinking and enjoying the day. The Gander, Hugo, seems to try keep order and pecks at the little ones, don't know if he is trying to herd them or what is going on. Mrs. Goose is not really sitting on them to keep them warm, the little ones are just laying in the grass all balled together and she is sitting next to them……….. I am worried that they don't really know what to do and are not taking good care of the little ones.
First year with geese and first time hatching geese
I am thinking about separating mom and babies from the ganders with chicken wire.

Any thoughts??????????????????????
Has Hugo actually nipped them? I've not seen that but last year was my first with adults and goslings. Mama water fowl aren't like mama chickens they don't actually cover their babies like chickens do. They would actually climb under her if cold. What is your temp today? You could try to separate the mama and goslings but i bet you'll have some very stressed out geese if your do. If you are really worried the gander may harm them then i diff would get him out of the picture but if he's the papa I doubt he would. Hows the other gander acting in all of this?

Thanks for your reply. I think that things have calmed down …….my guess now is that it was the first day out and everybody was just a little overwhelmed (me included) and they had to adjust to their new little family.
Temps are in the mid 60, goslings seem to be fine and not cold. I was just wondering about how they stay warm, used to chickens hovering all day over their chicks….. guess geese are just different. It seems to me that Hugo is just trying to keep some kind of order and is not actually trying to harm them. Doesn't feel aggressive to me, just him trying to keep them in line.

The other gander was always the more calmer and more submissive, they both bonded with that one goose and my other goose is kinda the misfit and hangs out with the ducks. Actually she is sitting on a nest right now, don't know if here eggs are even fertilized. I just have this little hippie family with one mom and two dads. LOL

Will they go back into the nest for the night??

Thanks for your reply. I think that things have calmed down …….my guess now is that it was the first day out and everybody was just a little overwhelmed (me included) and they had to adjust to their new little family.
Temps are in the mid 60, goslings seem to be fine and not cold. I was just wondering about how they stay warm, used to chickens hovering all day over their chicks….. guess geese are just different. It seems to me that Hugo is just trying to keep some kind of order and is not actually trying to harm them. Doesn't feel aggressive to me, just him trying to keep them in line.

The other gander was always the more calmer and more submissive, they both bonded with that one goose and my other goose is kinda the misfit and hangs out with the ducks. Actually she is sitting on a nest right now, don't know if here eggs are even fertilized. I just have this little hippie family with one mom and two dads. LOL

Will they go back into the nest for the night??
They may not I had to herd mine in when they had babies but it went good. Hopefully they will take them in before dark.
That's funny both ganders bonded with this one goose, thankfully here my ganders have one goose apiece although my oldest gander does mate with the other ones mate. My oldest gander also thought all the ducks were his to enjoy too. It is nerve wracking when they have lil ones for the first time but most have awesome instincts so hopefully it will get better as the days go by. Sounds like they are already doing beter which makes you relax more too.
smile.png
Keep us updated on how they are doing. and of course pics.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of them…..

I will keep a eye on them and make sure that they are protected overnight.

Last edited:
I am so relieved and happy to report that my little hippie family takes excellent care of the goslings now. I guess they just needed to figure out the new dynamics and I think Hugo was just really overwhelmed first with his new father role ;-)
Mrs. Goose took them back into her little A-frame nesting house and stayed there for the night. They stroll around the orchard during the day but she takes them back to the nest every once in a while for a nap and warming up. Its only in the 50's and pretty windy. Looks like they figured it out!

Very happy!!!!!!

I am so relieved and happy to report that my little hippie family takes excellent care of the goslings now. I guess they just needed to figure out the new dynamics and I think Hugo was just really overwhelmed first with his new father role ;-)
Mrs. Goose took them back into her little A-frame nesting house and stayed there for the night. They stroll around the orchard during the day but she takes them back to the nest every once in a while for a nap and warming up. Its only in the 50's and pretty windy. Looks like they figured it out!

Very happy!!!!!!
So happy for you it's a big relief to know they are well cared for. Don't forget pics for those of us gosling less this year.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom