Help!!! (GRAPHIC)

Thank you!!! That helps so much. And makes me feel better!! I'm definitely going to tractor supply ASAP. The rooster on the other had didn't have a great outcome from this event.

Well whichever one you apply, unless it's some kind of salve, you are going to have to cover the birds eyes and nostrils when applying it. One is a spray and Wonderdust is a puff powder type of application. I usually deal with wounds that are away from the head so I didn't consider location.

I'm a self proclaimed vet lol I have had livestock , hunting dogs & bred animals one way or another most of my life. The crazy thing is I had a turkey do the same thing just last year to one of my hens. I keep a medical tackle box for just such emergencies. First and foremost in every case try to stay calm all animals will do more damage to there self when they panic. I use bent-iodine solution mixed with a little dial antibacterial soap. Shake bottle good and spray on her head let set for just a min or two pat dry then spray with a diluted version of same mixture with 75% water and let dry repeat daily for 3 to five day's ! My hen has a bald spot but is none the worse for wear. Avoid antibiotics unless absolutely necessary most won't be affective anyways unless you have proper meds for external infection. Good luck and remember animals tend to be much more tuff than we give them credit

Last edited:
I'm a self proclaimed vet lol I have had livestock , hunting dogs & bred animals one way or another most of my life. The crazy thing is I had a turkey do the same thing just last year to one of my hens. I keep a medical tackle box for just such emergencies. First and foremost in every case try to stay calm all animals will do more damage to there self when they panic. I use bent-iodine solution mixed with a little dial antibacterial soap. Shake bottle good and spray on her head let set for just a min or two pat dry then spray with a diluted version of same mixture with 75% water and let dry repeat daily for 3 to five day's ! My hen has a bald spot but is none the worse for wear. Avoid antibiotics unless absolutely necessary most won't be affective anyways unless you have proper meds for external infection. Good luck and remember animals tend to be much more tuff than we give them credit

Thank you!! Baby is resting now after all the washing and disinfecting. My main concern now is the broken jaw. It's crop doesn't feel to have any food in it. I have some bird "formula" from a pigeon my sister hatched that was abandoned. I got lots of formula feeding experience from back then! Hopefully it will save the baby,

Last edited:
I've heard that you can syringe-feed chickens (although it's a bit riskier than mammals because chickens don't have throat muscles). I've never done this before, but I think it would be a topic to consider since she has a broken jaw. So since she suffered some torn scalp and a broken jaw, the rooster was very violent towards her?

I've heard that you can syringe-feed chickens (although it's a bit riskier than mammals because chickens don't have throat muscles). I've never done this before, but I think it would be a topic to consider since she has a broken jaw. So since she suffered some torn scalp and a broken jaw, the rooster was very violent towards her?

It's like Clyde (the rooster) just flipped a switch. Yesterday he was aggressive towards me and my daughter. He had been pestering the grown hens. Plucked out some of their neck and head feathers. Then today this happened. It's this one and another one has a little place. Not near as bad. A small puncture wound.
And I've had to syringe feed a baby pigeon and also I fixed an impacted crop and syringe fed water so I've actually gotten pretty good at it! Hah! I just hope the baby isn't in so much pain that I can't do it.

Last edited:
That's odd, but some roosters will just "flip a switch". I recommend separating him from the other girls so he can get some discipline and not hurt the others. You may have to separate him for about 3-5 days a few separate times. However, the success with doing this is iffy. Some will say their roo shaped up and others will say nothing improved. If nothing improves, try giving him a lighter dose of his own medicine. Obviously don't hurt him, but if you see him going to hurt another chicken, run him away from there.

What makes you think it's broken? Is it hanging open and he has no contol or is it sitting sideways? Are you sure it wasn't this way before the attack? Do you have a pic of it you could post?

I had an older rooster that was bitten on the head by a predator. It was a bloody mess and quite painful. The bite cause his lower beak to draw sideways making eating difficult if not impossible. So, I am wondering if that is what is going on. Like a cross beak. I tube fed him for two weeks while he healed from his injuries. It was all the swelling that was causing his beak to go sideways. It was quite the therapy session to get him back to eating when the swelling went down and the beak returned almost to normal. He found it easier to pick up pellets and slightly larger food than the crumbles he had been used too. But he did eventually recover from it and go one to breed and be a rooster. Took almost three weeks though and he had to be fed, watered and medicated through a crop tube during this.

Back
Top Bottom