Help - (Gross pics) Blood on quail head

24 hours of light will drive anything with a brain, crazy. It causes more than just aggression and these things minds already hang by a thread.

Ha ha yeah i just got a timer and a light i had a couple roo's that what had a screw loose in there head

Not sure but I use a light and a timer and it works well.
wait.... you have a light on them also?

it hasnt been long enough for your male to heal
he still looked funny and smelled funny and to them was a new guy so they attacked him

if your other male is doing fine then i would let it be and take the light away

wait.... you have a light on them also?

it hasnt been long enough for your male to heal
he still looked funny and smelled funny and to them was a new guy so they attacked him

if your other male is doing fine then i would let it be and take the light away

Why take the light away if they are doing ok?

Why take the light away if they are doing
Is it a heat or a light on at night? you want at least 14 hours of light a day for the hens to lay. Dont use l.e.d.s because the bright light really makes them angry i just use a normal 75 watt light with a timer set to turn off i would agree i would give your other guy some time to heal before re intruducing if that doesnt work try putting him with some other hens that might work other than that there is not much you can do with 1 roo if he cant live with others.

Is it a heat or a light on at night? you want at least 14 hours of light a day for the hens to lay. Dont use l.e.d.s because the bright light really makes them angry i just use a normal 75 watt light with a timer set to turn off i would agree i would give your other guy some time to heal before re intruducing if that doesnt work try putting him with some other hens that might work other than that there is not much you can do with 1 roo if he cant live with others.

I do 14 hours, its a small CFL 13w I think and it is off all night. I just use it to increase daylight for a few hours.

ETA: They have been laying for a few months.

Last edited:
I do 14 hours, its a small CFL 13w I think and it is off all night. I just use it to increase daylight for a few hours.

ETA: They have been laying for a few months.
Yeah there wouldn't be any problems with that sounds like you have a good setup see if your other roo will get along with them if he doesnt eat him thats about all you really can do.

I hate to tell ya this but Quail have a pecking order just like anything else
Its sad I took out my Best Texas A & M for attacking my male browns he really ****** me off when one of the birds since hatching had caught my eye ,
the Browns i got from Jamesmariefarm.com Robby Have the Best Personality and are so far Not aggressive they are Jumbo Meat birds .

the Hardest part was culling them but in my hatch I had way more males then i needed so first round Culled 14 Extra roos First I culled for weight , then Legs ,Body conformation and I even Double checked all Birds for huge breasts before i even put them in the Grow out Cage.

The 9 boys i Planned on Keeping I had marked by Trimming Both Wings
Runners up 4 possible that would of and could of been a mistake not to keep an eye on as i lost one of the nice big boys to the hen pen . LOL

all birds where great it was so hard to choose but thats good breeding at the JMF Hatchery .

it took me a total of 5 weeks to make sure i had what i wanted for boys then i set my mine to what girls to what boys . i got a second batch of eggs texas A&M Huge eggs great birds grew so fast my head spun it was like 3 weeks and poof eggs ,

again i wanted these birds for meat and a Egg treat dispencer for my Dog so she would leave my Browns alone. **** dogs a smart blue heeler she keeps and eye on the blueberries when they are ripe we have to race to the plants LOL . she is a canaber dog we trained her with blue berries and eggs so .

I found the one had a Bad temperment pretty good for all the makes i had but that was a pecking order issue and he for my Best brown who i babies back to health, how is this boy with the girls ?
remember there is such a thing as having 2 pens and you can always keep good males even if they fight seperated and use the offpring to replace that male later , Just had some Quail and Dumplings YUMMY

So 2 great things happened yesterday.....I got my first egg!! AND even better, Queen Elsa is opening her wounded eye!! I thought she got it pecked out when she was attacked by the male, but she has a little slit and I can barely see her black eye. The swelling has gone down and her wounds are healing nicely. She is in her own pen right now, but I'm hoping to find her some friends in the near future that will be nice to her. She is so sweet.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom