Help?!!! Growths on chicks?!

Jmwah_12

Songster
May 7, 2020
I just noticed some older chicks that I have, have some growths/ weird things on their faces?! I’ve never seen anything like this before! I’m not sure if it’s contagious or anything. They are welsummers, I also have Wyandotte’s speckeled sussex and black sex links but they don’t seem affected. I’m super worried this could be a contagious disease of some sort! Please help me out!
E97014A2-A123-4107-97D4-77365A5D4595.jpeg
A7290D92-8811-442E-BF13-5555A48C8F79.jpeg
90342769-E2E0-45D5-BC8D-FF88A45C84D5.jpeg
0BEF83C8-F4FE-43F6-BED8-CEAF8DF3A55B.jpeg

Fowl pox is a virus that lasts for several weeks. It is spread by mosquitoes and shed scabs. It would be good to keep mosquitoes away and separate the pox affected chickens from the ones not exposed. A pox vaccine is available online for birds not exposed. Recovered birds are immune to the same pox strain for life. Here is some info:
http://extension.msstate.edu/publications/fowl-pox-backyard-flocks

Fowl pox is a virus that lasts for several weeks. It is spread by mosquitoes and shed scabs. It would be good to keep mosquitoes away and separate the pox affected chickens from the ones not exposed. A pox vaccine is available online for birds not exposed. Recovered birds are immune to the same pox strain for life. Here is some info:
http://extension.msstate.edu/publications/fowl-pox-backyard-flocks
One of my chicks has it really severe, the pics above were it a few weeks ago but now it’s so bad it can barely see. I’m afraid I might have to put it down. I’ve been trying to isolate them but it’s spreading like wild fire. Should I have to put this chick down or hope it survives? It can barely see anything and I’m afraid it’s not eating and drinking because it can’t see anything anymore.
A656A4B7-F1BF-4287-8309-341E812C27CB.jpeg
E9A258E2-1446-4ACF-BEAB-52C7C5DFB4DA.jpeg

One of my chicks has it really severe, the pics above were it a few weeks ago but now it’s so bad it can barely see. I’m afraid I might have to put it down. I’ve been trying to isolate them but it’s spreading like wild fire. Should I have to put this chick down or hope it survives? It can barely see anything and I’m afraid it’s not eating and drinking because it can’t see anything anymore.View attachment 2380424View attachment 2380425
Can you take this chicken aside and feed her several times a day? Watery chick feed, scrambled bits of egg, small amount of canned cat food are things that can be offered. Fluids are especially important.

I would clean the eyes with saline eye wash or water, and apply plain Neosporin ointment twice a day. If you can find Terramycin eye ointment at your feed store, that would be ebven better. Vetericyn eye gel is also good. If there is any pus in the eyes, should be removed.

Can you take this chicken aside and feed her several times a day? Watery chick feed, scrambled bits of egg, small amount of canned cat food are things that can be offered. Fluids are especially important.

I would clean the eyes with saline eye wash or water, and apply plain Neosporin ointment twice a day. If you can find Terramycin eye ointment at your feed store, that would be ebven better. Vetericyn eye gel is also good. If there is any pus in the eyes, should be removed.
I’ve been applying Neosporin for the past few days or so. I separated her yesterday and she’s in a small bin by herself with food and water. She didn’t eat yesterday but I was able to give it some food and water and it’s eating so that’s good.

Ohhhh, I am so sorry! I have never seen anything like this before!:hit
Yeah same here. It breaks my heart to see my little chicks suffer like this and it makes me so upset. I’m hoping they get better soon because I’ve been trying everything I can.

I just noticed some older chicks that I have, have some growths/ weird things on their faces?! I’ve never seen anything like this before! I’m not sure if it’s contagious or anything. They are welsummers, I also have Wyandotte’s speckeled sussex and black sex links but they don’t seem affected. I’m super worried this could be a contagious disease of some sort! Please help me out! View attachment 2368638View attachment 2368639View attachment 2368641View attachment 2368643
I currently have fowlpox in my flock! Mostly everyone's recovered greatly but 3-4 still have it but it's getting better. I say let them be, the truth is they are probably now all infected but it takes time to start showing signs. If it's the dry kind give them nutri drench and alot of vitimans to help combat it. There is no cure. Make sure they're all eating everyday. Healthy chickens will survive it. Thankfully all my chickens are very healthy so they all took it extremely well. If you chickens look weak take them to the vet! Good luck and sorry if this wasn't much help

Back
Top Bottom