Help!! Guinea keets keep dying!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BantammChick, Jun 20, 2017.

1. BantammChick

BantammChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2017
    Missouri
    I have 4 boxes of guinea keets,with none over 3 weeks old. In one of the boxes I have found a dead guinea,almost EVERY MORNING!!!!Why do they keep dying???I feed them a 23% game bird starter,I have put marbles in their water,they are not drowning,so I don't know why they keep dying.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Four boxes? Do you mean brooders? Can you post a picture of this setup? What is the temperature under their heated area?

casportpony and Wickedchicken6 like this.
  3. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 No Rest For The WicKed Premium Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    :caf

4. BantammChick

May 8, 2017
    Missouri
    Yes,I meant brooders,but they are still boxes,But they are all different ages,so I put 13 In a cage outside,(To give them more space,they still have a heat lamp.)And the younger ones are in a plastic box with a heat lamp.I don't have a thermoter but will put one in.I don't have a picture right now.

5. GldnValleyHens

GldnValleyHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2017
    Long to be in Ireland
    Do you notice any symptoms or different behavior before they die? Like sluggishness or sitting still?

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Too hot, too cold, or too drafty are what I would want to rule out first.

Wickedchicken6 likes this.
  7. BantammChick

May 8, 2017
    Missouri
    Yes,they do go in a corner and sit,sluggishness.

8. BantammChick

May 8, 2017
    Missouri
    The dead ones all come out of the same box.One box is a cage,outdoors,and I have 3 boxes set up in the chick room.I had to help one of them out of the egg,so that one is in its own box.

9. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 No Rest For The WicKed Premium Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    Casportpony makes good points about the temp/drafty conditions. Especially since it's happening to just one box. This is key.

If the above is ok...then how old are the keets? Have their poops been ok? The reason I'm asking is because I noticed about 3 days ago my chicks that I have indoors started looking the littlest bit tired. And they're activity level was down about 5%. They have coccidiosis. I'm already treating them. My keets haven't shown it yet...but I handle their chores at the same time so they'll be getting treated too.

casportpony likes this.
  10. GldnValleyHens

GldnValleyHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2017
    Long to be in Ireland
    What are the signs of coccidiosis in keets? I may have one who has that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by