Help!! Has anybody had this happen with a kitty?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by yadaguhtoo, Oct 2, 2011.

  1. yadaguhtoo

    yadaguhtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

    196
    5
    106
    Jun 14, 2011
    Washington State
    Last night my 5 year old cat (Lava) came into eat and I noticed he was acting strange. He seems dizzy and his head is tilted to the left but he was still eating. This morning he did not want to eat but I did get him to take a couple bites of leftover chicken. He is still dizzy and shaking his head a lot and now I also notice his pupils are uneven (left is smaller then right). I tried to call my vet(for some advice) but the answering machine said to call an emergency clinic that is about an hour and a half away from us, so I will be calling my vet back first thing in the morning to get my cat seen. In the meantime I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and the outcome?
    Thank you I am one scared Mommy right now :-(
     
  2. SaraFL

    SaraFL Chillin' With My Peeps

    153
    0
    101
    Apr 7, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    My cat had the tilted head and wobbly walking, the vet said it was a vestibular thing. In her case she eventually recovered. Could be neurological, could be a lizard they ate, I suppose it could be poison, but it's good that it's eating. Good luck, I hope it turns out ok.
     
  3. llrumsey

    llrumsey Chillin' With My Peeps

    212
    0
    89
    Apr 12, 2011
    there are alot of things it could have, inner ear infection, to stroke and everything inbetween, best thing is to make sure that it does not get dehydrated, food if at all possible and keep the animal quite and in a safe and secure place.

    Good idea to contact vet first thing, good luck, hope it just something simple and a little medicine fixes everthing.

    keep me posted.
     
  4. LyonFuzz

    LyonFuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

    400
    23
    156
    Apr 28, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    If he was outside is it possible he was hit by a car? Sounds like a neurological thing to me. Get him to a vet as soon as possible and good luck with him.
     
  5. yadaguhtoo

    yadaguhtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

    196
    5
    106
    Jun 14, 2011
    Washington State
    Thank you for your replies, I hope it is something as simple as an inner ear infection. The different size pupils does concern me though. I'm pretty sure it is not any poison as I have seen a cat go through that and it was awful!!! A former neighbor did it on purpose, but no proof, cops couldn't do anything. I was actually glad when he passed and that is not like me. Lava is sleeping comfortably in my bedroom on my bathrobe...one of his favorite places. It is just so sad to see him when he wakes up, he seems so scared and confused. I have food and water right next to him so he can have it if he wants, but I think rest is good for him too. Tommorow morning can not come soon enough for me!
     
  6. xchairity_casex

    xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

    599
    1
    123
    Feb 5, 2011
    according to his pupils i highly doubt it is just an ear infection deff sounds like either head truama or a nuerological disorder this kitty deff needs to see a vet ASAP no calling to jsut ask for advice but to see a vet and have x-rays and tests
     
  7. yadaguhtoo

    yadaguhtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

    196
    5
    106
    Jun 14, 2011
    Washington State
    No chance of being hit by a car, we live quite a ways from any roads besides our driveway. He is a cat we have always worried about hurting himself though, he loves to climb way up in the trees and run around on the roof chasing leaves or bugs etc.
     
  8. dainerra

    dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

    3,473
    308
    246
    Jun 4, 2011
    I would go to the vet ASAP and not wait for morning. The different size pupils alone are enough to say head trauma or stroke. Add in the apparent confusion and not wanting to eat and you are looking at something serious.
     
  9. Brindlebtch

    Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Different size pupils mean a serious neurological problem and/or brain trauma. Time for a trip to the vet.
     
  10. yadaguhtoo

    yadaguhtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

    196
    5
    106
    Jun 14, 2011
    Washington State
    Good News!!! Lava and I just got back from the vet and everything at this time points to an inner ear infection. The vet did blood work and said his white blood cell count and one of his protein counts were a little high which would say infection. His left ear looked a little pink but he said on a cat you can not see all the way to the inner ear because their eardrum is in the way. So we now have antibitics on board and he should get better in 7-10 days, if by chance he doesn't the vet said it could be something more serious (possible tumor) but I am going to hope for the best! He is still eating and drinking although not as much as usual but that could be due to being dizzy and sick and he insists on going outside to do his business. He's never used a litter box, hates them. Lava is a trooper![​IMG]
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by