Help Hatching Call Ducks

Puddles! Doing well. Isn’t able to stand yet, though. Rolls a lot. Giving niacin. When should I worry? 36 hours old.

Attachments

• IMG_1264.jpeg
    IMG_1264.jpeg
    267.2 KB · Views: 8
Pip. My other line duckling. 5.5 weeks old now! He was malpositioned and needed a fully assisted hatch due to pipping the wrong end of the egg. Also didn’t walk for two days. Needed a hobble. Now, doing amazing!

Attachments

• IMG_0232.jpeg
    IMG_0232.jpeg
    869 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0658.jpeg
    IMG_0658.jpeg
    891.9 KB · Views: 6
Are the legs splayed? I see you've had experience with hobbling.
Also what niacin are you using?
Currently, just the electrolytes. I’ll be picking up some more brewers yeast today. Will drink but won’t eat yet. What niacin do you recommend. The legs don’t look splayed like Pip’s did. Just the one that was over its head looks like splaying is a possibility. It’s always been on a non-smooth surface. The legs do have some strength, but the duckling can’t get off its back. I keep positioning it on its feet and it rolls back over. Very alert though.

They are gorgeous 🥰
Since it's drinking I'd get liquid B complex TSC usually carries it, it will say injectable but we use it orally. You can put it into the water since it isn't eating yet.
Sure seems it should be getting hungry. Have you tried putting a little starter on the tip of your finger to see if it will try it?

@WVduckchick hopefully can help since this is a tiny Call duck.

They are gorgeous 🥰
Since it's drinking I'd get liquid B complex TSC usually carries it, it will say injectable but we use it orally. You can put it into the water since it isn't eating yet.
Sure seems it should be getting hungry. Have you tried putting a little starter on the tip of your finger to see if it will try it?

@WVduckchick hopefully can help since this is a tiny Call duck.
I did try that with the food. It didn’t want it but was curious. I’m gonna run to Tractor a supply now for the liquid B complex. It’s a tiny chick, but I can only compare it to Khakis. Very alert and rolling everywhere. Much more alert than Pip when he hatched.

I sure hope the B complex helps its great for niacin deficiency so hopefully it will help your little one! I’d get rooster booster “poultry cell” also and start with a couple drops right inside the bill make sure it swallows. Don’t shoot it in just a few drops to start. You could have this in the water then switch to the liquid b complex so it’s getting both. Or just start with the poultry cell @HollowOfWisps recs it for ducklings that have had a rough starting have 2 week old runner duckling that have been getting poultry cell in their water since they hatched and Nutritional yeast over their feed. If the legs don’t begin to work right then start the liquid b complex

Last edited:
Thank you so much! Unfortunately, no Tractor Supplies in driving distance from me have the B complex right now :( but they did have poultry cell. I just gave the duckling a couple drops of that and some electrolytes. I’m going to see if they have it online?

Back
Top Bottom