Help!!! Hatching Duck not doing well

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jmayhew8, Jun 6, 2010.

1. jmayhew8

jmayhew8 New Egg

Jun 6, 2010
    I'm a first timer at this and know very little, but what I have read on various postings.

*Started incubating the duck egg March 10th
    *Kept temp at 99.5
    *Egg was set in an automatic turner
    *Kept water in the bottom of the incubator for a good share of the incubation period.
    *Friday June 4th, the duckling was pipping, tapping on the shell, and cheaping.
    *If I count the first day of incubation, the 4th is 26 days
    *I moved the egg from the turner to the bottom of the incubator
    *Also, I did try doing some things to increas the humidity (not sure how effective they were, I have no real way of measuring it)
    *I checked the egg again on the morning of the 5th, no progress
    *I checked the egg again on the evening of the 5th the duck had made a cracked bump in the shell
    *This morning early (5ish) there was no progress, duck, still cheaping, based on the some of the reading, I decided to help it by taking the cracked bump off. I made the hole just a little bit bigger.
    *By noon today, still not progress. I'm thinking this guy isn't going to make. I need to help a little more. I carefully pick more shell away, only in the air sack area. The little guy is still alive will make noise everyonce in a while, but dosen't really seems to trying to get out (he seems tired). Also note: the membrane sack that's exposed seems to be thicker than it should be. It also has some vains in it. As it drys, it turns white. Since I exposed more of the membrane, I've been spraying the egg and membrane area with warm water every few hours.
    *It's been 4 hours later and the little guys is still not trying to come out.

I'm not sure what to do. Do I leave it or do I give more help?

Thanks

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

You can try to slowly massage away the moistened membrane, if their are active blood vessels then stop. Chip away some of the shell with a tooth pic, blunted some on the end. Try to massage enough of the membrane away to poke his head and a wing out, then let him rest and see if he'll come out the rest of the way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by