Help!!! Hatching Duck not doing well

jmayhew8

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 6, 2010
I'm a first timer at this and know very little, but what I have read on various postings.

*Started incubating the duck egg March 10th
*Kept temp at 99.5
*Egg was set in an automatic turner
*Kept water in the bottom of the incubator for a good share of the incubation period.
*Friday June 4th, the duckling was pipping, tapping on the shell, and cheaping.
*If I count the first day of incubation, the 4th is 26 days
*I moved the egg from the turner to the bottom of the incubator
*Also, I did try doing some things to increas the humidity (not sure how effective they were, I have no real way of measuring it)
*I checked the egg again on the morning of the 5th, no progress
*I checked the egg again on the evening of the 5th the duck had made a cracked bump in the shell
*This morning early (5ish) there was no progress, duck, still cheaping, based on the some of the reading, I decided to help it by taking the cracked bump off. I made the hole just a little bit bigger.
*By noon today, still not progress. I'm thinking this guy isn't going to make. I need to help a little more. I carefully pick more shell away, only in the air sack area. The little guy is still alive will make noise everyonce in a while, but dosen't really seems to trying to get out (he seems tired). Also note: the membrane sack that's exposed seems to be thicker than it should be. It also has some vains in it. As it drys, it turns white. Since I exposed more of the membrane, I've been spraying the egg and membrane area with warm water every few hours.
*It's been 4 hours later and the little guys is still not trying to come out.

I'm not sure what to do. Do I leave it or do I give more help?

Thanks

You can try to slowly massage away the moistened membrane, if their are active blood vessels then stop. Chip away some of the shell with a tooth pic, blunted some on the end. Try to massage enough of the membrane away to poke his head and a wing out, then let him rest and see if he'll come out the rest of the way.

Back
Top Bottom