Help Help Help!!!!

PeepsHanginWithMe

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 4, 2009
West Linn, Oregon
My neighbor just returned to me a hen we thought was gone...with 3 brand new chicks!!! Apparently the hen went to their shed to go broody and they have been on "chick watch".

How do I treat brand new chicks with 23 other hens and roos???
I have a medium dog crate to house them. Can I keep it in the hen house??
Do they need chick feed right away??
I have no Idea how old they are, they seem very new. The neighbor didn't talk to me in person, just left the hen and chicks inside opur back gate in the open in cool, breezy weather...weird!!
Poor hen was frantic to get them somewhere safe!!

If I put chick starter and water in the crate will the hen go out to feed, or do I need to feed her in the crate too??

Also, hen is making funny gargly, coughy sounds,opening beak, little head shakes... but no runny beak or crusty eyes...is this Gape worm? Will the chicks get it?? Do I seperate her and the chicks from everyone else to treat?? What is the best way to treat Gape worm?? Should I treat chicks too?? How??

If I seem panicy, it is because I am!!! I am completely unprepared for baby chicks and sick hens!!!!

Any help will be eternally appreciated!!!!!

Put mama and babies in the dog crate. If you have room in the coop and the babies can't squeeze thru the bars on the crate, you can put them in the crate, in the coop.
Let mama eat the chick starter. Won't hurt her.

OK, Thankyou!!!

I will run to the feed store asap to get spplies. Should I add anyhting to the water?? When I got my chicks from the feed store I added electrolytes to the water for the first couple of months. Do these guys or hopefully gals need anything like that??

Any thoughts on the coughing issue?? I hate to think that the chicks will get sick.

Thanks again for the help!

Quote:
Nah, don't add anything to the water unless it's extremely hot where you are.
Mama knows what she's doing. Just provide them with food and water and let her do her job. I promise you she can do it better than any human can.
Is she still coughing? Any other symptoms? If she was in a panic from being moved with her chicks, she may have gotten herself all worked up.

Yes, she is still coughing and sounding gurgly/garbly in her throat.
I nopticed sveral of my other birds are kind of making the same sound, bt again, no crusty eyes or runny beaks.
They are settled in the crate, with water and I wetted and mashed some plain Cheerios for the chicks...mom ate it. I gave her some layer crumble which she is aslo eating. As soon as I get home from the feed store I will switch to the chick starter.
I think they are brand new today, really tiny. One seems a little less robust than the other two. We'll have to wait and see how it does.

Thanks again for the advice...love my birds, hate to see anything bad happen...

You might want to post in the emergency/illness section of the forum about the coughing and gagging.
I don't have any experience in that area, but I'm sure someone can advise you.
Good luck!

I wonder if getting medicated chick starter would be a good idea for helping the hen? I have no idea, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Quote:
I doubt it, since the chick starter is not medicated with an antibiotic. The common drug in medicated chick starter is amprolium, which is a coccidistat. It helps prevent an overwhelming infestation of and helps the chicks build an immunity to coccidiosis; which is not an illness, but a infestation, a parasite.
Peeps, your hen may need treatment. Have you posted about her coughing and gagging in the illness/emergency category?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom