HELP!!!! HELP!!!HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hankshens, Sep 21, 2008.

1. hankshens

hankshens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2008
    TN
    I need help! My chicken "Stella" has a whole going through her chest and gizzard. I have no idea how she got it but the food is coming back out. She is a very healthy chicken and is acting like nothing is wrong. I have seperated her from the rest so flies dont get to her. Is there any chance she can recover? Does anyone have any advice? I will call my vet in the morning. Please help

2. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Oooooh, I don't know--sounds horrible though!

If it were me I'd try to clean it and bandage it until tommorow!

3. vickig

vickig Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Texas
    I would try to push it back in, clean her up and bind her up on this hole until you can get her in.

4. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    I am thinking that you mean her crop has the hole in it. Unless you can sew up the crop I would get her to the vet ASAP! Separate her, bring her in, and put her on clean shavings. I would withhold food until you take her to the vet. I think I would offer her nice fresh water so she doesnt get dehydrated. She may need a course of antibiotics also. Best of luck to her.

5. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    You need to take care of this immediately. Here is a link that will show you how to sew it up...if it is the crop. The link shows how to open a crop up but just use the parts that show you how to sew it up. It must be done quickly, especially if you don't have access or funds for a vet.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=21291

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  6. hankshens

hankshens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2008
    TN
    Thanks to all of you! I should be able to get her to the vet tomorrow if they will see chickens. It shouldnt be any different from sewing up a cat or any other animal. I just dont think I can do it myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by