Help! Help me! My chick attacked on the back of head! Click on this! Graphic Pictures!

Bella the Chicken Lover

Come to Jesus, Where All is Love
Feb 13, 2023
The Avengers Tower
I went into the coop on the third day my chicks were with my chickens, and they were getting along fine. I go out, and I saw his head in the corner, bent down. I pick him up, and I saw this:
20230426_154508.jpg
20230426_154520.jpg
20230426_154805.jpg
20230426_154826.jpg
I put some cornstarch on it, then put hydrogen peroxide, and dried it off. What do I do? He's sleeping, and please help me!

No. :( He told me to put him with the other chicks, but I'm afraid that they will peck at it.
You're right. They will peck at it and he will die. Do you have a wire dog crate, or a covered kitty litter box (without litter) or even a large cardboard box or some chicken wire or something? The chick can go out with the others if he has his own space where they can't get to him. He would need food, water, and grit, and for the others not to be able to reach him. Let us know what you have, and we can probably help you figure something out.

Neosporin (without pain relief) or Vetericyn are good to put on a wound like that. It will take time to heal, but your bird may recover, depending on how injured he is besides the wound we see. May need to feed raw egg yolk, moistened feed with nutri-drench or some electrolytes. Just keep water in him and keep him fed with healthy food. Cooked and raw egg yolk is good (but don't leave it out more than 4 hrs so it doesn't spoil).

You're right. They will peck at it and he will die. Do you have a wire dog crate, or a covered kitty litter box (without litter) or even a large cardboard box or some chicken wire or something? The chick can go out with the others if he has his own space where they can't get to him. He would need food, water, and grit, and for the others not to be able to reach him. Let us know what you have, and we can probably help you figure something out.

Neosporin (without pain relief) or Vetericyn are good to put on a wound like that. It will take time to heal, but your bird may recover, depending on how injured he is besides the wound we see. May need to feed raw egg yolk, moistened feed with nutri-drench or some electrolytes. Just keep water in him and keep him fed with healthy food. Cooked and raw egg yolk is good (but don't leave it out more than 4 hrs so it doesn't spoil).
Okay, thank you all! I just got permission to leave him in the garage🙏

I went into the coop on the third day my chicks were with my chickens, and they were getting along fine. I go out, and I saw his head in the corner, bent down. I pick him up, and I saw this:
View attachment 3483160View attachment 3483161View attachment 3483162View attachment 3483163I put some cornstarch on it, then put hydrogen peroxide, and dried it off. What do I do? He's sleeping, and please help me!
Happen to one of my Silkie chicks trying to integrate her in with my bigger chickens. You need to separate it from the rest of the flock. I use a dog crate with straw and food and water obviously. Then I used anti microbial poultry spray I got at Tractor supply. Stray the injury twice a day to prevent infection. Henrietta the Silkie lived and regrew all her feathers!

Back
Top Bottom