Help! Help me! My chick attacked on the back of head! Click on this! Graphic Pictures!

I'll leave him in the garage in a large cardboard box, give him vitamin water, feed him some eggs, and do I trim the feathers around the wound so it doesn't stick to it?
Don't think you need to. I slathered mine with Neosporin twice a day, and getting that on the feathers wasn't an issue. They shouldn't get caught in the scab.

Plain neosporin, or plain triple antibiotic ointment (no pain killer) are fine. Reapply it several times a day, to keep the wound covered with the ointment and moist, that will help healing. As long as it doesn't get infected the chick can heal up and be fine. I had a hen scalped and I separated her and treated that way, and she healed up fine. It will take some time though and the scab that forms may be very thick. It will slowly flake off on it's own as the wound heals. The chick can't go back with the others until it's healed up enough that the others won't peck at the wound. I've attached a picture of my hen, about 5 weeks after scalping, feathers are just coming in. Once the feathers all grew back, you couldn't tell it happened.
headwound.jpg

Plain neosporin, or plain triple antibiotic ointment (no pain killer) are fine. Reapply it several times a day, to keep the wound covered with the ointment and moist, that will help healing. As long as it doesn't get infected the chick can heal up and be fine. I had a hen scalped and I separated her and treated that way, and she healed up fine. It will take some time though and the scab that forms may be very thick. It will slowly flake off on it's own as the wound heals. The chick can't go back with the others until it's healed up enough that the others won't peck at the wound. I've attached a picture of my hen, about 5 weeks after scalping, feathers are just coming in. Once the feathers all grew back, you couldn't tell it happened.
View attachment 3483226
Okay, good to know, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom