HELP HELP PLEASEEEEE!

kkattt

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Massachusetts
I got to my classroom this morning and my water pots in my Brinsea Mini Advanced were empty--- I filled them on Friday around 4-- Will my babies be okay? We are on day 5---

I candled them to see what was going and I can see through the brown eggs but the Americaunas are harder to see through!

HELP!

I got to my classroom this morning and my water pots in my Brinsea Mini Advanced were empty--- I filled them on Friday around 4-- Will my babies be okay? We are on day 5---

I candled them to see what was going and I can see through the brown eggs but the Americaunas are harder to see through!

HELP!

They should be fine. I have a Brinsea Oct and even when the water channels are empty, my humidity will still hold solid for a good day or two after. What did your hygrometer read at? You could almost get away with dry incubating for a few days in the Brinsea because it holds sooooo well. Of course, you have the Mini, and that isn't the one I'm using, but I'm going to guess that it might hold as well. They are on day 5? No problems, they need to lose weight and you'll see your air sac space get larger as they get older. A higher humidity is a lot more cirtical in the last two to three days where you will really need to crank up the humidity so they can hatch without being shrink wrapped or getting stuck. Be sure three days ahead of their hatch day, you fill everything up and then do NOT touch it again! Do not open that lid. The only reason I'd open it is if your hygrometer is reading too low, then I will quickly lift and stick in a really soaking wet (with warm water, not cold) sponge and set it next to the eggs to raise the humidity. Or you can soak a paper towel and do the same thing. Just pay attention to your hygrometer and you should be fine. I run right around 50-60% during incubation and 70-80% in lock down.

ETA-- I don't know how experienced with incubating you are, but it's really better to be lower on humidity during the main incubation rather than high. Too high, and your chicks will drown or not have a large enough air sac when it comes time to pip internally.

Last edited:
So when I weighed the eggs-- they lost a gram or so.. I think they lost too much... The Americaunas are so hard to see through-- Is this a bad thing? Also-- Large air space.. is this a horrible thing? Stressed! I really want my students to experience the chicks hatching!!

So when I weighed the eggs-- they lost a gram or so.. I think they lost too much... The Americaunas are so hard to see through-- Is this a bad thing? Also-- Large air space.. is this a horrible thing? Stressed! I really want my students to experience the chicks hatching!!

How many days did the incubator run empty? And what was your Hygro reading when you saw it (while dry)? Really, your hygro reading is your BEST bet in figuring out if you're okay. I don't weigh my eggs at all. I simply keep track of the air sacs and the readings. If your incubator ran one day with no water, it's fine. If you ran two days, yeah, I might be concerned, but I've run mine 3 days with no water and my humidity held steady and then finally started to drop off. I've never incubated anything but silkies, and so far, they seem to handle a lot of problems well. We had a storm and the power went off for a few hours. I still had a hatch yesterday on those. Honestly, I'm betting your eggs are fine. Do you remember your hygro reading when you first saw it? That will tell you if you were okay. I never let mine dip below 20-30%. I like to keep it right around 50%-- but I don't worry if its a bit low or high so long as it's right around there.

ETA-- duh! I see you say you have Americaunas, those are pretty tough chicks. I just don't think you have much to worry about right now, unless those air sacs honestly look like they should a day or two before hatching.

Last edited:
I don't weigh them either, though there are charts available online if you do. Remember that 5 days out of 18 is about 28% of the incubation time.

What is critical during incubation is the average humidity, not an instantaneous humidity. It is how much moisture they lose during the entire 18 days of incubation. Don't get too bent out of shape over an instantaneous reading

There is no one humidity that is right for everyone. There are just too many variables in different incubators and our individual situations. For example, I think that our height above sea level makes a difference in what is best for us due to the differences in air pressure. And forced air versus still air can make a difference.

During lockdown, you do need to keep the humidity up. I put together some straws with accordian joints to make something I can reach my reservoirs by going in through a vent hole. I use a syringe to get the water through the straw. I don't have to open it to add water during lockdown.

Last edited:
Oh, I wouldn't worry about it at all. You said there was water in there on Friday. I can't imagine that the water evaporated THAT fast, so I bet it's only been a few hours that it was dry. Plus, there's lots of people who are really big fans of the dry hatch method, who would say it was good it went a while with empty channels.

I think the only time low humidity is a big problem is if it's consistently too low, or if it's not high enough at the very end.

Thanks everyone! I am feeling a little better-- I just hope the Americaunas are okay--

I am going to buy a hydrometer tonight--- not sure where to get one? The mini advanced is so small.. not sure how to get one in there!

I am going to have life feed online in a few minutes! AHHHHH! Things better work out!

Dont sweat it the bst thing ive done is let the humidity aked papertowl works for medrop now and then during the first 18 days. Thell be fine! Just make sure the last three day its high a flat soaked paper towle works best for me.

Back
Top Bottom