HELP! Hen’s face swollen and bald around her eye on one side

Sugarcoop

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2023
My 1 year old white leghorn hen has a bald and swollen patch around her left eye. She was completely fine yesterday, and she is acting normally. The other chickens are not showing any similar symptoms, and she does not have any discharge or other signs of sickness besides the eye. What could this be, and is it contagious? Are there any cures, and what should I do?

IMG_4390.jpeg

IMG_4388.jpeg

My 1 year old white leghorn hen has a bald and swollen patch around her left eye. She was completely fine yesterday, and she is acting normally. The other chickens are not showing any similar symptoms, and she does not have any discharge or other signs of sickness besides the eye. What could this be, and is it contagious? Are there any cures, and what should I do?

View attachment 3638059
View attachment 3638060
My idea for ones where you are pretty sure there is no infection and don't know the cause is to just put a warm wash rag on it for a few minutes. Someone else suggested rinsing it with saline in case there's something in it.

Another idea is to put terramycin ointment in her eye just in case there is some infection starting, and it might soothe as well.

Do your chickens have access to fruit trees or similar? It might be an insect sting if she does not show any symptoms like nasal drainage, sneezing or coarse throat.

The bald patch could be result of her scratching.

Welcome to BYC :frow

My idea for ones where you are pretty sure there is no infection and don't know the cause is to just put a warm wash rag on it for a few minutes. Someone else suggested rinsing it with saline in case there's something in it.

Another idea is to put terramycin ointment in her eye just in case there is some infection starting, and it might soothe as well.
Thank you!
I did the warm rag and her swelling is already slightly going down, this was very helpful!

Attachments

• IMG_4404.jpeg
    IMG_4404.jpeg
    336.7 KB · Views: 6
Do your chickens have access to fruit trees or similar? It might be an insect sting if she does not show any symptoms like nasal drainage, sneezing or coarse throat.

The bald patch could be result of her scratching.

Welcome to BYC :frow

Yes, we do have a crab apple tree next to the coop where they love to forage! You’re right, it was probably just a sting.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom