1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help - Hen has foamy eyes, runny nose and is wheezing.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by paith041, Feb 21, 2012.

1. paith041

paith041 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Hi all! Not so new to the forum, just new to posting. I hope someone can help with the new hen I purchased over the weekend. Trying to treat, but I'm hoping it's not worse than what it seems.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Brahma/Cochin Mix about 4-5 months old.

2) What is the behavior, exactly. Foamy eyes, nasal drainage, sneezing and wheezing.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    I've had her for 3 days. She looked fine when I purchased her. No wheezing, clear eyes. Mouth didn't smell.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    The Maran/Ameraucana mix I purchased with her looks like she has a runny nose as well

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Not sure. Contacted the lady I purchased them from and she hasn't had any other sick ones. I looked over most of her flock while I was there and they all looked healthy.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. No. Been trying to give her water with electrolytes and gatorade. I've put out crumbles with antibiotics in it, but don't think she's eaten. Have also tried to give her oatmeal and scrambled eggs. I've only been able to force feed her a bit of gatorade.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. White and runny

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Been trying to give antibiotic Auremycin mixed with crumbles. Bought tetracyclin to try to put in her water, but I know she's not drinking. I made a solution with VetRx and dripped that in her nose and sprayed her as well as the others with it. I also put a few drops of straight VetRx into her mouth.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? On my own, but willing to take her to a vet if I can find one in my area. I haven't as of yet.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. I have her separated from the one I bought her with and the rest in a dog crate with pine shavings for a bedding.

2. mutantroosta

mutantroosta Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2011
    hi, i too have a chicken with this problem, shes lived about a year with it, tho it came right on its own during the hotter months of summer, but now that its been wet and cold its come back
    there was something on a show called "harrys practice" an australian vet tv show about it today but i missed it, my mother saw it and said theres a type of penicillin for for poultry but its one of those ones you cant spell

3. TessaT

TessaT New Egg

Jan 26, 2014
    Did you ever find out for sure what this was? I have an older hen with the same symptoms. Poor thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by