Help!! Hen has oozing vent, labored breathing, is lethargic.

saving grace

Loving Life
Premium Feather Member
Feb 2, 2021
Canada
When I went to put our red sex link hens to bed all 7 were roosting except one. She was sleeping in a nesting box, which they NEVER do, so I knew immediately something was wrong. I checked on her and she seems pretty lethargic. She let me hold her with no issue, which is very unlike her. I checked her vent and it's oozing whitish foamy liquid. I also noticed her breathing is a bit laboured. Sounds like she's wheezing. I know something is very wrong with her, but I have no idea what it could be. Her comb isn't at all pale, just to note. I'm guessing she's about 1 1/2 - 2 years old. We've had her for a year now, and I'm guessing she was about 6 months old when we got her. I know red sex links usually don't have a very long lifespan. :(

There have been a couple deformed eggs layed recently. A couple eggs with no shell, just the membrane. I'm guessing that is most likely the sick hen, so I hope that points closer as to what is ailing her. All the other hens are acting completely normal.

I really hope she'll live through the night and we can figure out what is wrong. Any help would be very appreciated!

She could have a reproductive sickness going on, like salpingitis or maybe she’s eggbound, does her abdomen seem swollen or gooey?
Checked her this morning and her breathing is normal again. She still seems a bit lethargic to me. Just sitting in one spot. Her vent has stopped oozing for now, but I can tell she is still ill by the way she is holding her body. We are isolating her for now in a dark area, with some electrolytes.

Update: She is acting a lot more perked up now that we've isolated her. She's eating and drinking normally, and she's not egg-bound since she is defecating. Her stool is a bit green, but I think that's just from all the greens we give our hens. Not sure if I should just let her out with her flock again, or keep her isolated for a bit longer to make sure she's okay. Any tips for what I should do?

Update: She is acting a lot more perked up now that we've isolated her. She's eating and drinking normally, and she's not egg-bound since she is defecating. Her stool is a bit green, but I think that's just from all the greens we give our hens. Not sure if I should just let her out with her flock again, or keep her isolated for a bit longer to make sure she's okay. Any tips for what I should do?
All I can say is try to keep her comfortable and keep giving her electrolytes, you could give her activated charcoal Incase she swallowed something weird too.

Back
Top Bottom