HELP...hen in neighbors yard

petlove

Songster
11 Years
Jan 27, 2008
Skiatook, OK
I hope this is the right forum for this issue. My neighbor informed me yesterday that one of my hens has been in her yard all week. I usually do a head count on the weekends as I go to and from work in the dark. I tried to throw a blanket over her yesterday am to no avail. I tried the same thing late last night when she was asleep. Fast little hen. I now this am have put a wire kennel with food and water in it. So far she will not go in. I need suggestions, please. I am surprised at how hardy chickens are as the temperatures have been extremely low.

does she have kids ? have them chase the chicken back to your yard. when ours got loose i would have my kids herd them my way and then i would herd them back into their coop.

When she's asleep, you should be able to pick her up and carry her to wherever you want, without the blanket. Just be sure to enclose her wings (and feet if possible) with your hands to minimize struggling.

Rte.66_chicks :

When she's asleep, you should be able to pick her up and carry her to wherever you want, without the blanket. Just be sure to enclose her wings (and feet if possible) with your hands to minimize struggling.

I tried that first. She is sleeping in a pile of leaves. When I approach it is noisey. Maybe I can rake a clear path to the leaves and try that approach again tonight. Thanks​

Borrow a fishing net with a long handle and pay a young kid couple bucks to chase her down. They like that.

Last edited:
Mine follow me anywhere for treats like cracked corn. What do you give for treats? Although I haven't tried it, apparently crickets drive them wild, even when they are still in the plastic bag. Maybe she would follow you if you had a baggie of crickets?? Good luck.

when ours get hard to catch we always use the fishing net a little harsh but sure fire way to get them.

ours did that once and i was totally freaked cause there was a big ol dog in the yard! so i just went over there, caught ol roxy, and clipped her wings ASAP

Back
Top Bottom