HELP! Hen is making a gurgling/purring noise; afraid she's sick

MizNM

Hatching
Jul 29, 2019
My hen started making these noises about 5 days ago. She seems to be eating and drinking fine. No nasal discharge/watery eyes. I don't know if this is normal "purring" or is this some sort of illness like a respiratory infection or even Gapeworm?? Any one have a case like this? Here's a video of what she's doing:

Does she sneeze any? She definitely does not have gapeworm, since she would not be able to eat so eagerly. She sounds like she has crackles or rales which is moisture in her airways. She might have a virus or other type of respiratory infection. It doesn’t seem to serious. Here is a good link to read about infectious bronchitis, Mycoplasma Gallisepticum, coryza, and ILT in chickens:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Hi, i am sure you will get answers soon, from better experts, than me.
She looks real healthy, on the video, you said she has been making these
noises, 5 days ago. So i do not think it is a respiratory infection, as months
ago 2 of my girls, fell ill with infectious bronchitis in which they were sneezing
watery eyes , gasping for breath. We bought 4 new POL and they brought the virus
with them. We were lucky the rest did not catch it. Our vet gave them antibiotics.
Thought we would lose one, as she could not open her eyes for 10days. But did not give in, and they recovered. Your girl looks way to healthy, especially enjoying that food. lol
Plus it has been 5 days as well. As for gapeworm, maybe but none of mine has had it.
The experts will know for sure here. All i know when mine had respiratory infection,
they would not even drink, especially eat food. I have 12 hens, and i can truthfully say,
when they see me coming, with the mealworms, 2 of them make a similiar sound to
yours, and that is before they even hit the ground. lol None of the others does it,
just them 2 and to us, it has been a sign their fav treat is on the way. But please do
not go by mine, but it is the same sound. We put it down, to it is their way, of showing
how much they are enjoying them. Plus they only do it with mealworms, no other
treats ect. So wait as i am sure you will hear from others, soon. I am sure you will,
keep a close eye out, for any changes. But to watch the video she is one healthy girl,
enjoying her food. lol Good luck. :love

Does she sneeze any? She definitely does not have gapeworm, since she would not be able to eat so eagerly. She sounds like she has crackles or rales which is moisture in her airways. She might have a virus or other type of respiratory infection. It doesn’t seem to serious. Here is a good link to read about infectious bronchitis, Mycoplasma Gallisepticum, coryza, and ILT in chickens:

She doesn't seem to sneeze that I've heard. She acts perfectly fine and is laying eggs. That's what weird to me and this is my first time having chickens and I'm so worried I'm doing something wrong:(

Hi, i am sure you will get answers soon, from better experts, than me.
She looks real healthy, on the video, you said she has been making these
noises, 5 days ago. So i do not think it is a respiratory infection, as months
ago 2 of my girls, fell ill with infectious bronchitis in which they were sneezing
watery eyes , gasping for breath. We bought 4 new POL and they brought the virus
with them. We were lucky the rest did not catch it. Our vet gave them antibiotics.
Thought we would lose one, as she could not open her eyes for 10days. But did not give in, and they recovered. Your girl looks way to healthy, especially enjoying that food. lol
Plus it has been 5 days as well. As for gapeworm, maybe but none of mine has had it.
The experts will know for sure here. All i know when mine had respiratory infection,
they would not even drink, especially eat food. I have 12 hens, and i can truthfully say,
when they see me coming, with the mealworms, 2 of them make a similiar sound to
yours, and that is before they even hit the ground. lol None of the others does it,
just them 2 and to us, it has been a sign their fav treat is on the way. But please do
not go by mine, but it is the same sound. We put it down, to it is their way, of showing
how much they are enjoying them. Plus they only do it with mealworms, no other
treats ect. So wait as i am sure you will hear from others, soon. I am sure you will,
keep a close eye out, for any changes. But to watch the video she is one healthy girl,
enjoying her food. lol Good luck. :love
Thank you for your feedback. She acts perfectly fine and is eating and drinking well. She still lays her eggs. I just didn't want to wait too long if she is actually sick. I've gotten VetRX and swabbed it on her face, nostrils, and put in their drinking water. I've also been doing probiotics and electrolytes in the drinking water as well.

I would check her crop first thing in the mornings to make sure that it is emptying overnight. Sometimes a crop disorder can cause the crop to be slow to empty, and that can cause rattly breathing if liquid comes back up in the throat.

I would check her crop first thing in the mornings to make sure that it is emptying overnight. Sometimes a crop disorder can cause the crop to be slow to empty, and that can cause rattly breathing if liquid comes back up in the throat.
I had to look up what a chicken's crop was first...can you tell this is all new to me?:( I will check in the morning like you suggested and watch a few videos to see how to do it.

Back
Top Bottom