HELP HEN IS REALLY SICK, NEED help asap!!! (pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CrazyChickensEverwhere, Jun 19, 2011.

1. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    1) What type of bird , age and weight. Barred rock, 1years old. weight is normal.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. She won't move, weak, used her wings to balence, I found her one the roost sleeping at 1 pm!
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? I don't know perfect yesterday
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I am not sure, My flock did get cocci a month ago but I treated it multiple times with sulmet
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Havent tried to see yet, In a few mins Ill go see.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. I have a pic, her poop isnt red or bloody looking its different colored though [​IMG]
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I put Wazine in there water just in case and seperated her from the flock
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? myself
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. her is what she looks like right now [​IMG]
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    pine shavings.

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I've not had to deal with any illnesses yet but it makes sense that is could be cocci if it was recently in your flock. You may need to treat her for it again. Have you checked for eggbinding? How is her crop?

I would start electrolytes (Gatoraid works well) and a bit of scrambled egg with yogurt to give her a boost. Some vitamins (polyvisol without iron is good) probably wouldn't hurt.

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
  4. CrazyChickensEverwhere

Apr 8, 2011
    Its actually a cold day, 60 degrees. And no sun.

I have a pack of "sav a chick" its got electrolytes, and colors the water orange. I will scramble some eggs.

I had a couple of chicks die of cocci before, thats when I discovered it. I have a feeling I am battle cocci, and once again cocci will most likely win... again. I kept treating them. Is there a strain of cocci that isnt capable of curing?

5. CrazyChickensEverwhere

Apr 8, 2011
    here is a pic of her newiest poop

[​IMG]

6. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Ho w about worms - how long ago did you start the treatment for worms?

7. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    There is a chance that the Sulmet isn't treating the kind of cocci your flock has. There's a product called "Corid" that I believe treats more strains of cocci, but it is harder to locate. I had to get my bottle online (Jefferslivestock).

Best of luck!

8. CrazyChickensEverwhere

Apr 8, 2011
    I just started the treatment for worms.

And I do have corid at my feedstore. But it isnt open until monday.

9. CrazyChickensEverwhere

Apr 8, 2011
    I microwaved a scrambled egg, then I made her some "sav a chick" water. And She sat there looking at it. But I tried.

Tomorrow my dad is picking up corid.

10. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Sounds like she isn't feeling well at all [​IMG]

If she isn't drinking, you can try dribbling the water down the side of her beak, and she will be forced to swallow it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by