Help - Hen Just Hatched Chicks

They do not need anything to eat or drink for two days, as they absorbed the yolk sac and are fine.

But you can place a little dish or small shallow bowl with chick starter, millet and some little pieces of scrambled egg inside the box right in front of the broody if it makes you feel better and more secure.

I would not place any water as they might drown in it.

They do not need anything to eat or drink for two days, as they absorbed the yolk sac and are fine.

But you can place a little dish or small shallow bowl with chick starter, millet and some little pieces of scrambled egg inside the box right in front of the broody if it makes you feel better and more secure.

I would not place any water as they might drown in it.
Agree.
And I'd make sure in some way (maybe cut a hole if the hen allows you to and she isn't stressed by that) that they can go outside the crate when they are ready to follow the broody. To me it seems a bit high to jump out for the few-days-old chicks

I usually have my broody in a large crate with a small waterer and feeder. When chicks start hatching, I get each chick to the water and food dipping the beak to show them where it is. The broody will stay put for a couple of days. I take any eggs out after 2 days and candle them. The broody needs to get off the eggs and start leading her chicks out to forage for food and water around the third day, to become part of the flock. It is important to start all hatching eggs at the same time, putting a date on each so that they will all hatch within a day or two. You can collect eggs for a week or so and them have her set on them. Good luck with your chicks.

MY HEN JUST HATCHED OUT CHICKS LIKE 9 HOURS AGO SHE HAS NOT FED THEM OR GAVE THEM WATER THEY CAN NOT ACCESS WATER OR FOOD BECAUSE SHE IS SITTING ON MORE EGGS WHICH ARE HATCHING SHOULD I SEPERATE THE CHICKS IN ANOTHER CAGE THE CRATE IS TO SMAAL TO PUT FOOD AND WATER IN PLEASE HELP
Calm down. No need for caption lock. They’re fine. The mother hen will sit to wait for the last of her babies to hatch. Newborn chicks can go 2 days without food and water.

mama hen knows what to do.

No need to freak out.

Don't take any babies away. Just wait. Move them when all have hatched or aren't going to hatch. Just lift the box and put it inside a larger container, break down the sides so the chicks can get out. No need to disturb the nest.

I was in a similar position recently. I put water and chick feed nearby but by the third day, 3 chicks had died. The hen made no effort to feed them and they were very weak. I had tried to feed and water them once or twice. She hatched 3 more and I separated them and put them in a brooder where they are doing great. I had a hen last year that was still sitting on eggs but she still managed to teach her hatched chicks to eat and drink. My hubby suggested that perhaps the hen being so young, did not know better. I really don’t think she had any intention of teaching those chicks.

I usually have my broody in a large crate with a small waterer and feeder. When chicks start hatching, I get each chick to the water and food dipping the beak to show them where it is. The broody will stay put for a couple of days. I take any eggs out after 2 days and candle them. The broody needs to get off the eggs and start leading her chicks out to forage for food and water around the third day, to become part of the flock. It is important to start all hatching eggs at the same time, putting a date on each so that they will all hatch within a day or two. You can collect eggs for a week or so and them have her set on them. Good luck with your chicks.
Dipping the beaks actually isn't necessary if they're being raised by a broody hen. The hen will teach them out to drink. It's only for orphan chicks that are being raised in a brooder that you have to dip them.

I move my hen and chicks to a pen on the ground with food and shallow water for them. The hen should be showing them how to scratch around. If the other eggs are a lot younger than the hatchlings, they should be removed so the hen can tend to her chicks.

Back
Top Bottom