Help - Hen Just Hatched Chicks

Zainthe

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2021
Hello my hen just hatched 4 and she has not fed them or gave them water but they are active and healthy should I care

MY HEN JUST HATCHED OUT CHICKS LIKE 9 HOURS AGO SHE HAS NOT FED THEM OR GAVE THEM WATER THEY CAN NOT ACCESS WATER OR FOOD BECAUSE SHE IS SITTING ON MORE EGGS WHICH ARE HATCHING SHOULD I SEPERATE THE CHICKS IN ANOTHER CAGE THE CRATE IS TO SMAAL TO PUT FOOD AND WATER IN PLEASE HELP
Mom is going to sit tight to hatch the rest of her eggs. The chicks can go three days without food while they absorb their yolk sack.
Please post pictures of your setup for her and your flock.

They do not need anything to eat or drink for two days, as they absorbed the yolk sac and are fine.

But you can place a little dish or small shallow bowl with chick starter, millet and some little pieces of scrambled egg inside the box right in front of the broody if it makes you feel better and more secure.

I would not place any water as they might drown in it.

I usually have my broody in a large crate with a small waterer and feeder. When chicks start hatching, I get each chick to the water and food dipping the beak to show them where it is. The broody will stay put for a couple of days. I take any eggs out after 2 days and candle them. The broody needs to get off the eggs and start leading her chicks out to forage for food and water around the third day, to become part of the flock. It is important to start all hatching eggs at the same time, putting a date on each so that they will all hatch within a day or two. You can collect eggs for a week or so and them have her set on them. Good luck with your chicks.

mama hen knows what to do.

No need to freak out.

Don't take any babies away. Just wait. Move them when all have hatched or aren't going to hatch. Just lift the box and put it inside a larger container, break down the sides so the chicks can get out. No need to disturb the nest.

They should be fine until the others hatch, when was the hatch date? If you feel uncomfortable with leaving them with her then you can seperate them, but like a said they should be fine, because they absorbed the egg yolk before they hatched and they can survive without food for 48 or so hours. You could also move her to a large dog crate (that the chicks cant escape out of) and put her in there with her eggs and her chicks so they have better access to food and water. Its really up to you, but its just a few ideas.

Back
Top Bottom