Help! Hen seems to be extremely eggbound, no idea what to do!!!

Yes, the Tums is correct as emergency calcium. I don't have much experience with egg binding, only internal laying, very different thing. My banty Cochin has been egg bound twice, but we could see the egg and by squirting lubrication in there and spreading it around the egg with a finger, we were able to work it out for her. That's the only egg bound hen I've treated.

Quote:
OK, I will see if I have any TUMS on hand...And unfortunately I don't think I have any antibiotics available right now.
hmm.png

She lives with 5 other Red Stars hens, so it's hard to say when the last time she laid...but I don't think it was very recently, and her laying has been cutting back a lot lately.

Quote:
As of right now, I'm not sure whether she's eggbound or internally laying...If she did have internal laying, what are the possible treatments?
Thank you!

Sorry, I didn't see your post until after I'd added mine! I know it's not really an option for most people, but you never know!
smile.png

I don't have any TUMS available right now either.
hmm.png
And the warm bath doesn't seem to be helping either.

Seems like I'm running out of options here.
hit.gif

I'm trying to remember from school what else has lots of calcium carbonate in it. Do you have any other heartburn or indegestion meds? Chalk? I don't know if that'd be toxic... toothpaste??
I wish I knew how to help
hugs.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom