Help! Hen with hurt foot and possibly sick

mattc102

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 23, 2014
My rhode island red hen hurt her foot somehow an is not putting weight on it. She can curl her toes downward and walk on it but not put it flat. I am also worried because she pooped recently and it smelled awful and was almost orange and straight liquid, i know this can happen but this just seemed unusual and ten times worse . She still eats and drinks perfectly fine and squaks loudly when i talk to her.

Have you checked her foot over for any injuries or scabs? A circular scab on the bottom-center of the foot is a sure sign of bumble foot although it can show up between the toes as well.
If there is no distinct scab, she may have strained something. So far, anytime any of chickens have favored one leg, they had bumblefoot...

Have you checked her foot over for any injuries or scabs? A circular scab on the bottom-center of the foot is a sure sign of bumble foot although it can show up between the toes as well.
If there is no distinct scab, she may have strained something. So far, anytime any of chickens have favored one leg, they had bumblefoot...
i checked her foot becuase thats what i thought intially , but no scabs at all or any marks so i'm hoping that she just jumped of the roost and sprained it

I had a peacock strain something in his leg. I had to isolate him in a pen for a couple weeks to stop him from flying or jumping too much. Maybe if you put her somewhere, like a dog kennel for a week or so, it will force her to rest it...

I had a peacock strain something in his leg. I had to isolate him in a pen for a couple weeks to stop him from flying or jumping too much. Maybe if you put her somewhere, like a dog kennel for a week or so, it will force her to rest it...

If you cage her, put her cage in the coop or run with the ret of the chickens so she isn't lonely or isolated. It will also help the flock accept her wen she's done healing

If you cage her, put her cage in the coop or run with the ret of the chickens so she isn't lonely or isolated. It will also help the flock accept her wen she's done healing
Now another rhode island has come down with this , although she is better than the first

Back
Top Bottom