Help! Hens attacking chickless mama

I'm so sorry, you need answers, but I am just going to pepper you with more questions! 😋

Do you know what percent protein the feed has that you are using?

I see some feathers missing. Do you know if that is from feather picking, or did they scratch them off for depluming mites or something similar?

Is the violent behavior, especially the chick eating, coming from one or two hens specifically? If so, do those hens lay the most?

I am trying to find out if their cannibalistic tendencies are from not getting what they need, or if it is from them just being crazy for some reason.

Is there any chance they can be allowed to free range? Maybe in an electronet fence of some sort? I'm not sure this would solve the problem, but it might help.

I would not let her out until there is an action plan, but you also may want to clutter up your run to help with this in the future.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/
It is definitely detective work! 🤪

I give them a 16% protein feed. I do notice them eating feathers on the ground sometimes so it's possible that's not enough. The missing feathers are mostly from the rooster (he really gets around!).

I know a couple hens tend to bully the others, but it seems like more of them have been mean lately.

I let them out to free range occasionally. I do have some perches/hiding things in the runs, but I could certainly add more.

I had a baby a few months ago and other family members cared for the chickens for a few weeks. Could it be that the change of routine flummoxed them? I hadn't thought of that as a possible factor before.

The rooster has been quite aggressive to any caretakers. Can rooster behavior rub off onto hens?
It can definitely effect how the flock treats a specific member and he may be more brutal towards hens that haven't been mating. Hens are not usually aggressive to caretakers

I will reply back as soon as possible (probably tomorrow).. after thinking this through some and unpacking it. Off the top of my head.. looks like you may be protein deficient (16% is the minimum for light bodies layer like leghorn but dual purpose birds like several seen in pics will do better at 18-22%). But this seems more behavioral.. boredom and not enough distractions inside the coop/run.. As the most recent poster suggested, for starters clutter it up and add in some line of sight blocks. Days are super long right now, activity is up.

I had a baby a few months ago
Yay, for new hope and new life! :celebrate

I'd cut all this out.
Do they have access to the layer feed all the time?
I've been measuring out feed in the morning. There's always a flurry at first, but they calm down and eat it throughout the day.

I wonder how the rooster behaved with the last batch of chickens and why he did not protect the mother hen and her chicks this time.
A good rooster would protect them and keep the peace in his flock.

What breed or mix is he? Did you check him for lice and mites?
When did you last deworm your whole flock?

Thank you for all these ideas/things to consider. I have already added some clutter to the run and will look into a higher protein feed.
My roo is a buff orpington. He seemed to do fine last time. This time it almost seems like he is joining in the chase, though it's hard to tell once they all get going.

I had not considered worms or mites.

A good rooster would protect them and keep the peace in his flock.
A good rooster may not be trying to service 17 ladies. He's GOT to be crazy trying to keep up with all that, it's just not natural! :oops:

Many roosters in my experience will bring the other ladies to eat the mum and chicks food.. calling them to it and all.. not giving a rats arse about mum and chicks.. Not chasing them off per say.. but also not focused on them. (of course some will tidbit and stand guard over chicks, but that's usually a bit later in my experience)

Simply stated his affections are divided..

And that coop isn't set up to support babies with a flock like that. (at least this time) Larger flocks are more brazen, more likely to go after everything that comes in than a few hens on their own might. That coop does not have space to support more flock members, IMO..

Previous times.. the flock was younger, less bored with the daily cycle, maybe better nutrition, possibly less of them.. there are many differences.

Truly roosters should not be eating layer feed as the added calcium *can* (doesn't mean will) cause one type of gout, kidney failure, and even death (there are genetic factors involved).. and no way would it be sufficient for (any) chicks either (causing stunted growth, delayed development, and the previous mentioned gout etc).

Are there any hens that will get along with your separated lady.. maybe try them together and then returning to the flock as a group instead of an individual?? Just brain storming some ideas for reintegration.. Might it be time to move on some flock members to make room for your future additions? Or might that be part of the plan for next time chicks are coming?

Please note in addition to the things you've added to the coop/run for enrichment.. sometimes it's just a matter of moving those things around to a new location on occasion.. disrupt the territory and monotony just a bit.

Sorry for her/your loss. Hope she has friends again soon! :fl
(also that you have peace)

A good rooster may not be trying to service 17 ladies. He's GOT to be crazy trying to keep up with all that, it's just not natural! :oops:

Many roosters in my experience will bring the other ladies to eat the mum and chicks food.. calling them to it and all.. not giving a rats arse about mum and chicks.. Not chasing them off per say.. but also not focused on them. (of course some will tidbit and stand guard over chicks, but that's usually a bit later in my experience)

Simply stated his affections are divided..

And that coop isn't set up to support babies with a flock like that. (at least this time) Larger flocks are more brazen, more likely to go after everything that comes in than a few hens on their own might. That coop does not have space to support more flock members, IMO..

Previous times.. the flock was younger, less bored with the daily cycle, maybe better nutrition, possibly less of them.. there are many differences.

Truly roosters should not be eating layer feed as the added calcium *can* (doesn't mean will) cause one type of gout, kidney failure, and even death (there are genetic factors involved).. and no way would it be sufficient for (any) chicks either (causing stunted growth, delayed development, and the previous mentioned gout etc).

Are there any hens that will get along with your separated lady.. maybe try them together and then returning to the flock as a group instead of an individual?? Just brain storming some ideas for reintegration.. Might it be time to move on some flock members to make room for your future additions? Or might that be part of the plan for next time chicks are coming?

Please note in addition to the things you've added to the coop/run for enrichment.. sometimes it's just a matter of moving those things around to a new location on occasion.. disrupt the territory and monotony just a bit.

Sorry for her/your loss. Hope she has friends again soon! :fl
(also that you have peace)

Some helpful insight here, thank you!

I had planned to sell most or all chicks from the last batch so I wouldn't have added members long term. I have also thought about kicking out the main instigators that I know of, but wasn't sure if more upheaval could make things worse.

I like the idea of putting her with friendlies and having them join back together. I might give that a shot, too.

Back
Top Bottom