Help! Hens picking on big Roo and he's taking it!!

peachychick

Songster
10 Years
Apr 8, 2009
Heart of Dixie
We introduced a new rooster to the girls this week. He worked everything out fine with the other boys, but last night I noticed a "harem" of girls hanging around him at the back of the run and they looked to be preening his throat/waddles/neck area. Well today I saw him without the girls and they have picked about 5 inches of his throat CLEAN!
He's still crowing, but I'm concerned that he has not put a stop to this and put the hens in their place. Has he lost his mojo?
What can I do to stop attracting their attention, cover/treat the bare area, and allow the feathers to grow back? I have a small pen he could stay in temporarily, but I think it's too small for long term (30"x30"x30"). It's impossible to catch him up in the daylight by myself--that's why he's not already in there.
Any advice would be appreciated!

I have had a similar problem with my hens and rooster. The ladies have just about turned him from a rooster to a hen. I found that to catch him and separate is the only chance my guy has. He is the last one to be let out in the morning and I use a towel to catch him with. My guy likes to run to corners so once he is headed towards one the towel gets tossed on his head and he is than picked up in towel and transfered to his kennel which we put in the yard with the hens. He does better in staying calm and content when he can see them. The confinement within confinement.
big_smile.png
Someone told me to use bag balm on the pecked area to use to heal and divert supposedly hens don't like the taste so they will not peck. My girls like it. Go figure. That will be our process till his feathers come back. Which is happening very fast. the chickens are also attracted to the blood so separation is necessary. Hope this might help. Let me know.

You might try using Blue Kote. Is DOES make everything a lovely shade of blue/purple, but it would protect his skin where the feathers are missing. In my experience, birds really dont like the taste and will stop pecking.

Back
Top Bottom