Help !! Hens vent looks terrible!!!

crzyckldy

Songster
5 Years
Jul 28, 2014
North Carolina
I noticed one of my hens had a nasty behind .. Thought it was from rooster.. Went to clean her off and found this!! It's red, protruding, stinks and oozing!!

First things first clean her so you know what's going on. Warm bath with baby shampoo and some iodine scrub if you have it. Then take some better pics and we'll see what we can do. Be gentle and don't touch it except with clean hands

I noticed one of my hens had a nasty behind .. Thought it was from rooster.. Went to clean her off and found this!! It's red, protruding, stinks and oozing!!

Maybe it's a combo of vent gleet and a small prolaspe going on? Just a guess on my part. If it was my bird that's what I would try to treat for. I think I read Prep H would help with the prolaspe. I know there has to be treatments on the forum for vent gleet.

I gently washed it off, forgot to take more pics :-(.. After more research I'm pretty sure it's SEVERE vent gleet. I feel horrible that I just caught it! She's a favorite for one of my roosters and I just thought it was from him. It smells sooooo bad!!! I put anti-fungal cream on it and gave her some yogurt.

I gently washed it off, forgot to take more pics :-(.. After more research I'm pretty sure it's SEVERE vent gleet. I feel horrible that I just caught it! She's a favorite for one of my roosters and I just thought it was from him. It smells sooooo bad!!! I put anti-fungal cream on it and gave her some yogurt.

Well, if she's a favorite of your rooster, you best keep an eye on him too. Not sure if it can be easily passed by contact, but I would keep an eye out.

Last edited:
Yes...vent gleet can be passed on...

I would suggest that as a first measure you treat her vent with a betadine solution...this can be very beneficial..do isolate her from the main flock..

If you suspect she has a prolapse..keep her in a darkened area..it would be a good idea to apply honey to her vent ....(it has antibacterial properties)

Yes...vent gleet can be passed on...

I would suggest that as a first measure you treat her vent with a betadine solution...this can be very beneficial..do isolate her from the main flock..

If you suspect she has a prolapse..keep her in a darkened area..it would be a good idea to apply honey to her vent ....(it has antibacterial properties)

Ok I'll pick some of that up first thing in the morning and seperate her. I have 2 isolation pens.. 1 inside/1 outside and both have a resident. One with a bad foot and one with a hen that was almost killed by a rooster . I'll do some rearranging for this poor girl though :-(.
Thank you so much for everyone's advice!!!

Back
Top Bottom