Help !! Hens vent looks terrible!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crzyckldy, Feb 4, 2015.

1. crzyckldy

crzyckldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    North Carolina
    I noticed one of my hens had a nasty behind .. Thought it was from rooster.. Went to clean her off and found this!! It's red, protruding, stinks and oozing!! [​IMG]

2. crzyckldy

Jul 28, 2014
    North Carolina
    Anyone?? Please help!! It's oozing so bad that her feathers are white and dripping???

3. roseyred

roseyred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    First things first clean her so you know what's going on. Warm bath with baby shampoo and some iodine scrub if you have it. Then take some better pics and we'll see what we can do. Be gentle and don't touch it except with clean hands

4. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas

Maybe it's a combo of vent gleet and a small prolaspe going on? Just a guess on my part. If it was my bird that's what I would try to treat for. I think I read Prep H would help with the prolaspe. I know there has to be treatments on the forum for vent gleet.

5. crzyckldy

Jul 28, 2014
    North Carolina
    I gently washed it off, forgot to take more pics :-(.. After more research I'm pretty sure it's SEVERE vent gleet. I feel horrible that I just caught it! She's a favorite for one of my roosters and I just thought it was from him. It smells sooooo bad!!! I put anti-fungal cream on it and gave her some yogurt.

6. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas

Well, if she's a favorite of your rooster, you best keep an eye on him too. Not sure if it can be easily passed by contact, but I would keep an eye out.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  7. crzyckldy

Jul 28, 2014
    North Carolina
    Oh yeah, Thx , I didn't even think about that. She looks worse today . Now her crop is swollen too :-(

8. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Yes...vent gleet can be passed on...

I would suggest that as a first measure you treat her vent with a betadine solution...this can be very beneficial..do isolate her from the main flock..

If you suspect she has a prolapse..keep her in a darkened area..it would be a good idea to apply honey to her vent ....(it has antibacterial properties)

9. crzyckldy

Jul 28, 2014
    North Carolina
    Ok I'll pick some of that up first thing in the morning and seperate her. I have 2 isolation pens.. 1 inside/1 outside and both have a resident. One with a bad foot and one with a hen that was almost killed by a rooster . I'll do some rearranging for this poor girl though :-(.
    Thank you so much for everyone's advice!!!

10. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    How is she doing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by