Help! High Humidity throughout incubation

Hey it is what it is. You should be at about 70 percent and you are at 80. If you're sure it is 80 with no doubt open the incubator a tad until the humidity goes down a bit. You might still be OK. If you can get it down to about 70 you will be OK. Relax take a deep breath and hatch some eggs they might just surprise you. Let us know.

She is concerned because it has been that high throughout incubation, for the past 18 days!

I feel pretty dumb about the whole thing and so guilty that now all these little chicks might drown:(
Please don't. Your intent was GOOD. :hugs

You are learning. And you will be able to share with others. :cool:

Also, those are embryos... not currently chicks. :oops: Even without humidity issues, sometimes they don't make it. And those that do... would be preyed upon down to the last few in the wild... It's one of the reasons why certain animals give birth to a large number off spring. It is, to a degree... an unfortunate reality. :hmm But it's also the circle of life. I hope your kids will gain a wonderful understanding and compassion for animals and that the joy of the new life will over ride the pain of those that didn't make it. :) Subtraction is the hardest part of chicken math. :barnie I think.

Still, I do believe life finds a way! And I hope you will have a much greater outcome than you are expecting. :fl Hope you have a fantastic Easter.

So sorry Elizabeth. It happens, so don't think you are alone. You are not!

Did you by chance candle the eggs and trace the air cells? I'd like to see just how small they are. Also, what breed are they? Some breeds react better under these circumstances, so just maybe. :fl
Based on the image of the air cells. Some are at the 18 day size but most are at the 14 day size :( The ones at the 18 day size don't seem to have any movement though :hitRight now it is at 71% so I guess I will just try to keep it there and see what happens :fl

Hey it is what it is. You should be at about 70 percent and you are at 80. If you're sure it is 80 with no doubt open the incubator a tad until the humidity goes down a bit. You might still be OK. If you can get it down to about 70 you will be OK. Relax take a deep breath and hatch some eggs they might just surprise you. Let us know.

Thank you for the encouragement :hugs I sure hope that we get a few! I will definitely keep updating!

Please don't. Your intent was GOOD. :hugs

You are learning. And you will be able to share with others. :cool:

Also, those are embryos... not currently chicks. :oops: Even without humidity issues, sometimes they don't make it. And those that do... would be preyed upon down to the last few in the wild... It's one of the reasons why certain animals give birth to a large number off spring. It is, to a degree... an unfortunate reality. :hmm But it's also the circle of life. I hope your kids will gain a wonderful understanding and compassion for animals and that the joy of the new life will over ride the pain of those that didn't make it. :) Subtraction is the hardest part of chicken math. :barnie I think.

Still, I do believe life finds a way! And I hope you will have a much greater outcome than you are expecting. :fl Hope you have a fantastic Easter.
Thank you:hugs. Yes I have already been thinking about how to explain it to them that they might learn from it as well! Our rabbits had babies a few weeks ago so at least they have that:love. Happy Easter to you as well :)

Also, what breed are they? Some breeds react better under these circumstances, so just maybe. :fl
I'm not sure what kind of eggs they are as they were given to us by a neighbour The small ones are silkies I believe :)

Attachments

• IMG_20180326_223104.jpg
    IMG_20180326_223104.jpg
    488.7 KB · Views: 12
I have read that an incubation that has had high humidity throughout tends to grow chicks that are larger than normal and are therefore unable to turn correctly when the time comes. Please correct me if this is not valid information.

Smaller air cells will allow the chick to grow bigger, and it seems logical that more malpos could happen with larger chicks.

Back
Top Bottom