HELP!!!!! HORRIBLE incubation. quitters

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
Need some help. So I normally have 85-100% hatch rates. Well I set 8 CCL from someone about 1.5 hrs away so they travelled by car, but hatched CCL mix from her before with a decent rate.... St 8 OE eggs from someone local... Those are hard to see in..... Then 17 shipped from the person I always use.

Well I had 6/8 CCL start and all 6 have quit. I know some OE, well 1 I cracked open so for sure, have quit then think some clear. 6 of the shipped started and think 2 have quit. This is not normal for me at all!!!!!

I used my reg incubator, then borrowed a Kebonnixs 12 egg incubator. The Kebonnixs was really dirty but I cleaned and bleached it. The CCL and OE were only in mine the shipped had some in each. I candled on Sun and did move ones I was pretty sure quit or were clear to the Kebonnixs and good ones to mine. At that time 2 CCL quit. So there 4 were after that.

I had my thermometer/hygrometer in the Kebonnixs up till Sun since I don't know that machine. Have used mine a ton this year and everything has been steady so figured I knew where to keep it. I did swap it into mine with the good eggs on Sun. Humidity average is 47.1, had a few times up to 55, but some high 30- low 40's so not bad. Temp has gotten up to 100.4 in hot spots but I see that all the time, then others a bit low, but average was 99.2

Any ideas what is going on? I bid on more CCL eggs so need to figure this out.

Could be the birds themselves plus the travel
But it is from 3 different breeders. Some shipped, some picked up from 15-20 min away and some picked up from 1.5 hrs away. So all different travel and breeders. If it was only one set of eggs I would think that but have had quitters from all of them, like a lot.

It's the stock parents that are responsible for your poor hatch rate. The parents need to be physically fit to produce quality hatches. I've seen this with some of my own flock.

It's the stock parents that are responsible for your poor hatch rate. The parents need to be physically fit to produce quality hatches. I've seen this with some of my own flock.
ok but how is it this when I lost a bunch of CCL from someone in RI, then some project Cochins, BB Brahma, lav Brahma, BYM, and EE from someone in SC, and some OE eggs from someone in MA. so they all have problems in their flocks? I have hatched from each of these sellers before. some smae breeds others different breeds.

Not saying you are wrong but don't see how it is stock parents with multiple sellers. that I have hatched from already this year with decent or great hatch rates.

Back
Top Bottom