HELP: Horrible infected eye

BlossomSilkies

Crowing
12 Years
Jan 29, 2011
Niles, MI
Our Polish has this horrible looking infection on her eye. I just noticed it today.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Polish, 3 1/2 months old
2) What is the behavior, exactly. She was not really moving around the run with the others and her left wing was down
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Not sure
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Nothing that I know of
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Crumble, veggies, water
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Not sure
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Nothing yet
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Treat myself
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use: DLM pine shavings. Run is alfalfa hay

11jryx0.jpg

Last edited:
is this a new bird or did you get as chick?
where did you get this bird?
have you got any new birds recently?

Polish tend to get weepy/ sticky eyes from the heavy feathering over them. I would trim off his topknot over each eye and use baby wipes to clean out the gunk. Antibiotic eye ointment applied until it clears up. You can use contact soaking solution to flush his eyes out. Works great.

If it's just the one eye I would clean with warm water and use artificial tears(no medicated stuff) to flush. I wouldn't medicate unless a few flushes don't help...
I would also trim the feathers a little to avoid irritation...and give you better view

you can also squezze some used warm coffie ground juice into her eye after you clean it out. repeat about three times per day

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom