Help! Hours Old Chick-- is this normal?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ENGEC35, Mar 30, 2018.

1. ENGEC35

ENGEC35 In the Brooder

Mar 16, 2018
    Hi! This little one hatched around 3.30 this morning-- making her roughly 6-7 hours old.

She is my first ever hatchling!

How should she be behaving?

She has been very stumbly, only able to stay on her feet for moments before she gets stuck laying on her back for an hour or so.

I have noticed, she is drying out and fluffing feathers, eyes are looking clear and sharp, and she is gaining stability on her feet.

She's currently stuck on her back again in the incubator. This time, going on 20 minutes.

Is this normal?

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Sounds normal. Though hopefully it will be able to get off it back and rest on it's belly before long.

Chicks are getting their motor skills coordinated and learning how to use their muscles to stand up and such. They should mostly sleep with a couple moments of bumping around and trying to get their land legs under them.

3. UThobbyfarmer

UThobbyfarmer Crowing

May 29, 2013
    Utah
    How is she doing now?

4. Spartan22

Spartan22 Crowing

Sep 2, 2014
    NE Ohio
    I normally leave them alone for 12-24 hours to recoup their energy from exhausting hatch marathon then move them to brooder when they’re standing, dry and fluffed usually the following day.

EggSighted4Life likes this.
  5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

This is what I do also. :thumbsup

I usually have to walk away because the anxiety of wanting to help EVERY single chick! :p

Any news today? :fl :jumpy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: