HELP! HOW MANY CHICKENS CAN I HAVE IN THE THE SPACE I HAVE?

CUTE COOP!!

You should start with just a handfull and go from there, its best not to squeeze in as many as you can.
If it was MY coop and run, I'd probably go for 8--10 standards and see how it all works out.

In a year or so you could get a broody and perhaps let her hatch out a few more - thats always fun!
Good luck!!

WOW!! Awesome coop, you should enter it in the coop contest!!

Everyone else answered the number of chickens question, so good look with them and have fun!!

Quote:
Was this post necessary?
This type of post could easily turn people off, especially a new person, and people might get to the point where they don't even want to be involved with this forum anymore. I've only been around a short time here and I've read a couple really mean spirited posts. I haven't read the rules, but hopefully it's a 3 strike and your out kind of thing when someone's posts are so nasty.

HOWEVER, just have to add....WHAT A BEAUTIFUL COOP/PLAYHOUSE!!!!! Sorry for the caps....I was just too excited!!!!! My kids would go bonkers for that thing...and my chickens too! You guys rock! Have fun with it!
smile.png

That coop? IS AWESOME. (all-caps used for emphasis, so put me in the "ignorant" club
wink.png
)

I would seriously LOVE to see more photos of your coop, outside and in, even just the first level, to show my husband before he starts construction on our next coop. He is willing to do pretty much whatever I want, but he needs ideas.

Again, thank you for sharing the pics of your coop. I. Love. It.
big_smile.png

Belinda

Welcome to BYC! We are soo glad you are here and hope you will stay. 99% of the people here are just wonderful and very, very helpful and knowledgeable.

I love your coop and playhouse! My kids would love that and your chickens will be very happy in their great digs.

I agree that, although, that coop can hold 16 chickens I personally wouldn't put that many in there. I'm not big on filling to the top, if that makes sense. I learned the hard way because I didn't know any better. I had ten chickens in a coop with the "proper" space for 9 to 10 chickens. Last winter when I had to lock up the chickens for two days due to a bad winter storm, I had one chicken feather picked by the others due to their boredom and too many chickens in that space. So - get less chickens and everyone will be happier if they ever have to be locked up for any length of time.

Plus, if you get 8 or so chickens now - by next year you'll have other breeds that you will want to get to expand your flock (don't fight it... the addiction is too strong
lol.png
)

That's a beautiful coop. I do have some suggestions though.

You have too many next boxes; if I were you, I'd put doors on the top six and use those for storage space. For 16 hens, six nests are more than enough.

There seems to be cracks in the walls that are wide enough to allow rain, wind, whatever to blow in. Is it too late to remove the boards and put eight thin wooden panels up before putting the individual boards (or eight-foot-fence panel) back on.

You might consider buying two $12.00 4x8, smooth, white bathroom panels for the floor, or buy ten panels and line the walls and the the floor; that's what I did to my two 4x8 coops, i.e., my coops look like a nurses station on the inside, but it sure is easy to clean.

Please post some more pictures later. I want to see the finished product. Looks great so far.

Quote:
Joe, are there pictures of your coop up anywhere? I'm terrible at visualizing things from descriptions, but once I see it I understand how it works. I would love a "nurse's station" interior!

Back
Top Bottom