HELP! HOW MANY CHICKENS CAN I HAVE IN THE THE SPACE I HAVE?

Thanks Joe for the suggestions, it's not too late to take care of the cracks. I did use a rolled kitchen flooring for the floor. I read that was a good idea to do. Ninjapoodles heres some more pics, I will send more soon as we finish. Thanks for your kind words!

Oh my God! That looks too good for chickens LOL
lol.png

That is gorgeous! I would have that as my reading room or laptop room.
big_smile.png

I may have missed it, but have you said whether they are going to free range or be conained to the run all the time?

My experience in the suburbs, is that those numbers are way too conservative. We have a 6x6 henhouse and 11 x 6 run, and with 6 hens I feel it;s too small. We have feather pecking issues, I think they are bored. And we let them out several hours per day.

Awesome coop! It is really cute!

I just learned something new...I did not know about using CAPS..I think I've used them, too...sorry! I actually do not know anything about chat board etiquette, so I hope I am "ok"!

Our coop is 72 sq ft with 13 (2 are bantys and 1 roo) so 5.5 sq feet /chicken inside and 42 sq ft/chicken in the run. We are not seeing any problems at all. They love space. I also left some trees in the run and they like to perch in them during the day.
So far, no smell in the run either.

I'll ditto the others...this forum is terrific with lots of nice, helpful people!

Have fun!

Lisa

*Especially* if the kids are going to play in the upstairs and all around the run (and by the way that is SUCH a cute and clever design, very well constructed!), I'd suggest erring on the side of fewer rather than more chickens. Reason being, more crowding = more odor and flies.

I know lots of people have 4 sq ft per chicken indoors and 6-10 outdoors. Personally though I have to say that seems like way too little room for the chickens' happiness, *in my opinion*. Although it depends somewhat on the total number of chickens and thus the total size of the coop and run, my feelings run more along the lines of 6-10 sq ft per chicken *in the coop* and then as much space as you can manage in the run. <shrug>

Good luck and have fun,

Pat

(In regard to something earlier posted by my user name)
Err Sorry, I have my password saved on my computer, and have BYC as my home page. So my brother, who uses the same comp. is fairly mean, and he will get on here just to mess with people. My apologies!

I took out the bad comment, but my brother, wanted something to yell at someone about so All caps it was, and I will type in all caps quite frequently! Again sorry, and BYC is a great site!

BTW: I changed the password settings so I have to log in every time. Please forgive my stupid actions!

When I saw that coop earlier, I called my husband a work. I said, "I am looking at the neatest chicken coop on BYC..." He groaned out loud, and said, "Oh, NO. What do I have to build NOW?"
lol.png

wow, I reinterate what I said earlier....AWESOME COOP!!!! That IS too nice for chickens!!! (*sniff*, mine looks like....well....not that good....)

Back
Top Bottom