Help - i am a beginer

adni02

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 4, 2013
Ok last time when i was here i was pretty sure that what i wanted to raise for starter (Orpingtons chicks), but now after consulting some people, i am confused. Most of them want me to raise adult bantam cochins not there chicks. there argument is that they are easy to handel, don't make much fuss. But i really want to raise large fowls due to my background in peafowls and pheasants. Any suggestions on what breed should i buy as a starter and do i buy chicks or adult birds?

It is best to get what you really want. If they do not work out for you at least you will be satisfied that you tried what you wanted instead of pursueing something others had told you the pros and cons. It is also best to get DAY old chicks. You may only get a few that meet the SOP's so you will need at least 15 to pick from to have some quality to start with.

It is what YOU want...you will be the one caring for them. We have Buff Orpingtons and a Dominique...the buffs are beautiful and whatnot, but I'd have to say that the Dominique is much more personable and friendly (although all of them love attention). We got ours when they were a couple of days old from a local hatchery and they've had a lot of handling.

Back
Top Bottom