Help - i am a beginer

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by adni02, Feb 6, 2013.

1. adni02

adni02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2013
    Ok last time when i was here i was pretty sure that what i wanted to raise for starter (Orpingtons chicks), but now after consulting some people, i am confused. Most of them want me to raise adult bantam cochins not there chicks. there argument is that they are easy to handel, don't make much fuss. But i really want to raise large fowls due to my background in peafowls and pheasants. Any suggestions on what breed should i buy as a starter and do i buy chicks or adult birds?

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I cannot see why you cant raised orpingtons. I love mine and easy to raise just like most other breeds. Go for it !

3. Shaffer

Shaffer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Tamaqua, NE Pa
    It is best to get what you really want. If they do not work out for you at least you will be satisfied that you tried what you wanted instead of pursueing something others had told you the pros and cons. It is also best to get DAY old chicks. You may only get a few that meet the SOP's so you will need at least 15 to pick from to have some quality to start with.

4. kdb7033

kdb7033 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2013
    It is what YOU want...you will be the one caring for them. We have Buff Orpingtons and a Dominique...the buffs are beautiful and whatnot, but I'd have to say that the Dominique is much more personable and friendly (although all of them love attention). We got ours when they were a couple of days old from a local hatchery and they've had a lot of handling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by