Help! I don't know what to do with abandoned bird egg!!!!

4 Georgia Hens

Crowing
Jan 3, 2017
Northern Georgia
Today I was outside and I found a pure white egg. I searched EVERYWHERE, but I couldn't find a nest. So I brought it inside and candled it. I'm pretty sure the bird is fertile. So, I wrapped it in some chicken feathers and lined a tissue box with soft fabric and I put a small bowl of water in the box. Then I carefully placed the egg inside the box and set it outside in the sun (its hot today). Should I bring the box inside and set it on a heating pad? I don't have a heat lamp or an incubator! What should I do???!!!

I wouldn't put it in the sun. It will get too hot.
Is it a chicken egg or some other species?
What makes you think it is fertile?
You need a thermometer. Without knowing the species, shoot for 100F.
It can occasionally get cooler but anything over 104 will probably kill the embryo. That's why I said to get it out of the sun.

Do you have an incubator or know someone you can borrow from? Like chickencanoe said, I would also say 100 degrees if you're not sure. Any broody hens around to sit on it?

image.jpeg
This is my new setup. I actually have a heat lamp! The pile of white stuff is cotton balls on top of a layer of feathers and then the egg. The wire on the top of the photo is the bottom of the heat lamp. Is the heat lamp to close?

I would not use an infrared heat lamp. They heat what they are aimed at so the temp of the egg will be much higher than the ambient temperature. (where you are measuring)
You only need a regular incandescent or halogen lamp - size dependent on the size of the container.

Back
Top Bottom