help.....i don't know what's wrong with her :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by maisha, Oct 18, 2012.

1. maisha

maisha Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2012
    Taunton, MA
    i went out this afternoon to do the usual water change, treat time, collect eggs, etc.. i noticed one of the two chickens we have wasn't coming out of the coop to say hi so when i opened the door to check on her i noticed there was blood splattered everywhere. she was laying down looking exhausted, so i picked her up to see where it was coming from and noticed her behind. i cleaned her off a bit, took the picture, and came here. she was out and about yesterday and i didn't notice anything....how could this have happend so fast and what the heck is it and will she be ok? ! :(

[​IMG]

2. PrincessKristin

PrincessKristin Out Of The Brooder

I sure wish I could give advice on it. I am new this year at raising mine, but I sure hope she will be alright! I will pray for your lil' lady. :hugs
    Kristin

3. LeJeune1

LeJeune1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Allen Parish, LA
    Could it be prolapse? Is she eggbound?

4. maisha

Jul 14, 2012
    Taunton, MA
    thank you :)

5. maisha

Jul 14, 2012
    Taunton, MA
    i'm not sure...i'm new to this so i will have to see what that is. thanks :)

6. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    It's hard to see what is happening in the picture so I am not sure. I prolapse is when the inside part of the vent starts to come out. Egg bound is when an egg is stuck inside the chicken. Search either on the site and there are lots of good threads. Good luck!!

7. maisha

Jul 14, 2012
    Taunton, MA
    thank you, i am researching now. i feel bad for her, she seems so miserable :(

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Can you put her someplace clean, warm and away from other chickens? If it is a prolapse, you need to keep it clean. Can you get better pictures and post them.

9. maisha

Jul 14, 2012
    Taunton, MA
    got a warm bath ready for her and a big bucket with towels and heat lamp for her to rest in. went to get her, and she was gone :(
    thank you all for your help and i only wish i could have saved her.
    RIP Gaga ....

10. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by