Help I don't know which day to go on Lockdown and what to use?

EmilySmith2525

Chirping
Mar 24, 2018
Newcastle,United Kingdom
Hi,
So I am on day 14 of incubation currently so not long left now it's my first time incubating silkies so I am full of questions haha.

I have Silkie's and and White Sussex in the incubator and I am confused as to when lockdown will be.

I originally thought lockdown was day 18, however I have read up about it I have seen a lot of people saying day 16 mostly for Silkie's and bantams.

My question is what day will be best to go into lockdown?

I also have read that putting shelf liner under the eggs during lock down will prevent them from slipping and getting crooked legs when hatched, does anyone know if this will be safe or have any experience using it?

Many thanks hope someone can help :)

Essentially, any day after day 14 is ok. But most folks start lock down at day 18. With banties, you may need to do so sooner. Candling your eggs should help guide you. If the air cells are drawing down, pipping is soon to follow. The day you start raising your humidity is entirely dependent on what your air cells look like. Have you read "Hatching Eggs 101" in the learning center? Incubation is part art, part science. Success comes with doing the research: "Hatching Eggs 101" , knowing your equipment, and repeated practice and learning from each hatch.

Essentially, any day after day 14 is ok. But most folks start lock down at day 18. With banties, you may need to do so sooner. Candling your eggs should help guide you. If the air cells are drawing down, pipping is soon to follow. The day you start raising your humidity is entirely dependent on what your air cells look like. Have you read "Hatching Eggs 101" in the learning center? Incubation is part art, part science. Success comes with doing the research: "Hatching Eggs 101" , knowing your equipment, and repeated practice and learning from each hatch.
I will have a look,Thank you very much!

Hi,
So I am on day 14 of incubation currently so not long left now it's my first time incubating silkies so I am full of questions haha.

I have Silkie's and and White Sussex in the incubator and I am confused as to when lockdown will be.

I originally thought lockdown was day 18, however I have read up about it I have seen a lot of people saying day 16 mostly for Silkie's and bantams.

My question is what day will be best to go into lockdown?

I also have read that putting shelf liner under the eggs during lock down will prevent them from slipping and getting crooked legs when hatched, does anyone know if this will be safe or have any experience using it?

Many thanks hope someone can help :)
I have only hatched three sets(silkies) so far, I have locked down on day 18. First pips usually happen on day 20 with some hatching on day 20 and the rest on 21. I have used the shelf liner stuff and it works well. Have still had some issues with crooked feet or splay legs. I have had good success addressing those issues as soon as they come out of the incubator. Also if you have traced air cells, I place the lowest dipping part of the air cell up and that's where pip usually happens so you can see it.

Back
Top Bottom