Help!!!!! I don't understand!?!!???

curranchickens

Songster
8 Years
Oct 2, 2011
Fredericskburg, VA
I bought 7 lavender Orpington hens from a breeder last June 28 that were already 4 to 6 weeks old... So they were hatched the beginning of June or the end of May. I then bought 4 blue/black/splash Orpington chickens which turned out to be 2 hens and 2 roosters. They were hatched in July or Aug.

That makes my first batch of 7 hens about 8 months old and my second batch of 2 hens about 6 months old.

PROBLEM: NO EGGS. I have not found one egg! Am I doing something wrong? I am feeding them layer feed from tractor supply and then every other day throwing a scoop of cracked corn on the ground for them to peck. Also, I know they do not lay well in the winter but it has been unusually warm! I live in VA and we have been in the 40s and 50 (even 60s) all winter...

Here is a picture of my son holding one of the hens. You can see how red the comb and wattles are. I have noticed that they have gotten alot more red in the last couple weeks. They were light pink before. When they turned red then I thought for sure they would finally start laying but it has been a couple weeks . There are feathers in the nesting boxes but no eggs. Should I put eggs in the nesting boxes? Should I put a light in the coop? I do have two windows in the coop... both are approx 18x24. Do the combs and wattles look red enough? If I put a light in the coop then should I leave it on 24 hours a day? This is my first time raising chickens and the past 8 months of waiting for an egg almost reminds me of when I had to wait 8 months for the birth of my children (considering I was a month preg. when I found out I was preg). UGGG...

Your older pullets should start just about anytime.
Laying is more determined by the length of the day, rather than the temperature. So, usually new pullets can start laying in the winter, but not always. Now as the days are lengthening, it should trigger them to start laying. It is usually recommended about 14 hours of light to stimulate laying.
I've waited till 33 and 35 weeks in years past.

Imp

ETA- Should also mention that laying and maturity can also depend some on breed.

Last edited:
As Imp has noted the daylength is increasing. This will jump start their egg production. Temperature is not a major factor in egg production - daylength is.

Sorry, but your pullet has a little more to go. She'll probably lay in the next month or so. It's normal. It's winter. Orpingtons mature slow. I have a leghorn who are very early maturing breeds and she's 33 weeks, no eggs.

Put you a light in the coop with a timer. Mine comes on at dusk for three hours and comes on at 4am until daylight. This is my second year with lavenders.I have found mine to be the worst layers of the breeds I have or had, and also took them longer to start laying.

start giving then a higher protein laying mash-- i use tucker mills 22% layer mash,,after a week they started laying
use a 22% in winter then do back back to 16% in summer,,as my for light ?? my rooster gets every one up about 4 --i live in GA
but corn is 9% protein and all it does is make them fat and fills them up....so just feed them 22 laying mash...then after they start laying...you can feed them corn too..but thats up to you

She's almost there. The feathers are in the nesting boxes because someone is "practicing". I know it's hard to wait, but they will lay when their bodies are ready. It's actually better on their bodies to lay later, rather than sooner. It's also possible that you were not told their age accurately when you bought them.

Just enjoy them, they will lay eggs for you - and lots of them. Just be patient.

Back
Top Bottom