HELP!! I found an abandoned duck egg outside… what do I do??

aria7

Hatching
Jan 23, 2022
I found an abandoned duck egg outside. (I live near a canal with ducks so it’s definitely a duck egg plus it had duck poop on it). I tried looking for the nest but couldn’t find any around. I waited to see if the mother would come around but nothing happened. I then touched the egg to see if it was still warm but it was pretty cold. The shell had no cracks or damage and didn’t smell rotten at all. Since I didn’t have a lamp or heating pad to keep it warm, I wrapped it in a rag and put it inside hoping to get to room temperature at least. I candled the egg like I read to do, to see whether or not it was alive. I saw the yolk at the top and the rest of the egg was pale, but no veining was visible at all. I then did the water test to see if it would float or not, and it unfortunately sank. I don’t know what to do now I have never taken care of eggs before so I have no idea what I’m doing or how to care for it if it is alive. Is there something I can do to revive it or is it just a lost cause?? PLEASE HELP!!

I found an abandoned duck egg outside. (I live near a canal with ducks so it’s definitely a duck egg plus it had duck poop on it). I tried looking for the nest but couldn’t find any around. I waited to see if the mother would come around but nothing happened. I then touched the egg to see if it was still warm but it was pretty cold. The shell had no cracks or damage and didn’t smell rotten at all. Since I didn’t have a lamp or heating pad to keep it warm, I wrapped it in a rag and put it inside hoping to get to room temperature at least. I candled the egg like I read to do, to see whether or not it was alive. I saw the yolk at the top and the rest of the egg was pale, but no veining was visible at all. I then did the water test to see if it would float or not, and it unfortunately sank. I don’t know what to do now I have never taken care of eggs before so I have no idea what I’m doing or how to care for it if it is alive. Is there something I can do to revive it or is it just a lost cause?? PLEASE HELP!!
@Miss Lydia @Everose

Could you candle and post pics, turning the photos black and white sometimes helps. I doubt it's alive.

It's probably a wild duck egg, unless there are domestic ducks around, so you shouldn't even have it in your possession. It's kind of you to want to save the duckling that might hatch, but it would be a lonely single duckling. Most wild duck eggs are eaten by predators, as are most ducklings. It's best to put it back outside somewhere as a meal for a wild animal or bird.

P.S. Do you live in a location with no winter or in another country? Or are there Muscovy ducks in the canal?

Last edited:
Under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918. It is illegal for any person to take, possess, transport, sell, or purchase them or their parts, such as feathers, nests, or eggs, without a permit in the US.

Back
Top Bottom