Help! I have a chick emergency

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by king2, Mar 21, 2008.

1. king2

king2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    GA
    I bought some chicks from the local TSC and 3 have died already and another one isn't looking so well. I have had them for about a week. They act fine and then all of a sudden they act like they can't breathe well and then they die. I have no clue what could be wrong with them unless it is something they could have caught in the brooder at the TSC. I have other chicks that I hatched myself and they are doing fine it is just those from TSC. I don't know what to do, please help!

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I would call TSC and speak with the manager of the store where the chicks came from. Keep them away from your other chicks/chickens in the mean time.

3. king2

Sep 20, 2007
    GA
    I think it is stress maybe, I read seachick's thread about poor Valentina and the breathing looks excactly the same and there was some gooy poo around the vent area, but after I cleaned the first time it didn't come back. I have separated the one chick who looks sick and he is eating and drinking but he still has labored breathing.

4. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I'd do the same. The chicks should not have died. How old are they ?

5. king2

Sep 20, 2007
    GA
    They are about 2 1/2 weeks old. I have raised baby chicks before, but this is my first time buying them from a TSC, I am actually planning on going to the store to talk to the manager. They had A LOT of chicks, I just hope all of them are not sick as well, that would be a disaster for all of the costumers and the TSC owner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by