Help I have a Question!

Just spend time with them. Learn their personalities, talk to them, find their favorite treat, and find their favorite place to be scratched. My pet silkie loves under the neck.

thanks but the thing is i dont want to chase them . to scratch them they wont let me catch them i have to walk really fast to keep up with my game hen but then i get a hold of her and she likes right under her chin , but they got afraid of me because i took there buddys away to trade i think it scared them but now im sitting on a peice of wood that they perch on with thhem beside me but when i move they go crazy!

ahhhh ........the key word in your post is scratch!!!! You need to keep it handy and treat them with it. They will be your best bud!!!!!

Just hang out with them. Dont move quickly. Dont go to catch them. Just sit and talk to them. Wait til they come to you.
Even my flighty one no longer takes off when I open the brooder. And my BO and Australorp both come running over to be held.

Yeah one of my chicks started coming to me when I put my hand down because she thinks I have food, but then she finds out wrong and walks under my hand to have me itch her back, and my other one, just keeps her distance, but she is starting to come to me, now she comes to me and rubs up against my hand, just do what ChickyPooh said, but don't itch them yet, put food in your hand, and just let them eat out of it for a few days maybe weeks, and they will start to come to you!!!!! Trust me its worth it to have them come running to you when they see you!!!!
ya.gif

Have to agree, just hang out with them. And slow down. Let them come to you as they are curious birds. When my girls were too small to be let out of the run, I used to take a chair inside the pen and just sit and talk to them. Pretty soon, they would hop up on my lap, and let me touch them. Then I could reach down and pick them up without them running away. It took some time, but was well worth it. I think I spent about 20 minutes in each visit.

I would take treats every time I went to the coop calling them so they would learn that when I called, they got something great to eat. I never chased them nor would I let anyone else chase them.....if someone wanted to hold one, I would pick it up and give it to the person as I quickly learned that most people don't know how to pick up a bird and the quick hands and grabbing fingers just scare them.

Be patient and move slowly. Good luck.

Anne

LIVE BAIT!!

Mealworms are my most successful. I've won all my chickens over with them. Even the little gamehen that ran up out of the woods.

-Kim

Spaghetti and bologna shreds.

Although no chicken is ever required to "bond" with me. Being chickens, it is often more than they are capable of, so I don't pressure them to be my "buddies."
The occasional one that does bond is a treat. The rest better get to laying, if they know whats good for them...
lol.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom