HELP I have duck eggs hatching with problems

JBroo252

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 18, 2013
I dont know if anyone can help in time but my Miniature Appleyard eggs are starting to hatch. The first hatched yesterday (day 28) and is doing well. Another had pipped a hole but did nothing else. I have extended the hole to free the chicks beak gently to see if it was still alive, being very careful not to damage the membrain as far as possible. It looks as though its covered in slime which Im guessing could be yolk?? It has chirped a few times and I can see the beak opening and closing. 2 hrs on it has made no progress. I have tried to pull back a little of the menbrain to see if it can free itself but the membrain is drying and sticking to it. I have now lightly placed a warm wet piece of kitchen roll around it to see if that helps. Im not holding out much hope now but wondered if anyone can advise me of anything else I can do? The other 3 eggs are doing nothing and its day 29. I have candled them quickly and seen 2 showing a pulse (they are very small and not in the air sack, and the third is much bigger but no sign of movement. I was SOoooo looking forward to these ducklings arriving but now feeling dreadful.
Any help please and thanks

I dont know if anyone can help in time but my Miniature Appleyard eggs are starting to hatch. The first hatched yesterday (day 28) and is doing well. Another had pipped a hole but did nothing else. I have extended the hole to free the chicks beak gently to see if it was still alive, being very careful not to damage the membrain as far as possible. It looks as though its covered in slime which Im guessing could be yolk?? It has chirped a few times and I can see the beak opening and closing. 2 hrs on it has made no progress. I have tried to pull back a little of the menbrain to see if it can free itself but the membrain is drying and sticking to it. I have now lightly placed a warm wet piece of kitchen roll around it to see if that helps. Im not holding out much hope now but wondered if anyone can advise me of anything else I can do? The other 3 eggs are doing nothing and its day 29. I have candled them quickly and seen 2 showing a pulse (they are very small and not in the air sack, and the third is much bigger but no sign of movement. I was SOoooo looking forward to these ducklings arriving but now feeling dreadful.
Any help please and thanks
I'd keep working with this ducklings to free it as long as you don't see blood, if you see blood stop and put it back in the bator give it a few hrs then start again till you get it out of the top part of the shell, leave it in the bottom part and let it finish hatching on it's own. also go to the hatch day thread and see if there is anyone who can help. Getting it's head free will at least help it to be able to breathe.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...own-as-hatch-day-is-today/38210#post_11524548

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

You should defintally check out Sally Sunshine`s guide to assisted hatching. Its a very helpful article! https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Good luck!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom