Help! I just got some free 10 day old incubated eggs! *hatching!!*

OK, the temp is back up to 95.... I'm just afraid that the lamp might set the cardboard on fire.... It's clipped on, but still... Oh, and I do have a heating pad under the box, maybe I should put it in the box? I trust it more than the lamp...

Quote:
I'll be sure to post in the morning, I going to set my alarm and hit the hay... I'll be checking on my eggs a few times during the night. I have to get up anyway, we have a 3 month old baby!

Dove

Quote:
No, they wouldn't have given them away if that was the case. These were un-used. Now if dinosaurs pop out of them, I'll be having some words with my friend...
smile.png

Dove

You mean like these?
big_smile.png

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/10/22/feathered-dino.html

Quote:
What does Pharmaceuticals have to do with eye make up?
barnie.gif
smile.png

You know, somebody has to do the some research to develop new veterinary medicines......

Dove

Last edited:
Well, to make a long story short, they got way too hot last night...But, I'm going to keep figiting with my box and set up to see if I can't get it to hold a constant 95-100 degrees, just in case any are still alive, and if I get more eggs...

I made some adjustments at about 1pm, and this morning the temp was 83, so I added some foil over the top of the box and lamp, and I put the heating pad inside the box. Now they are up to 87.... I'm debating on weither or not to order an incubator from tractor supply as these are probably dead....

Dove

Last edited:
Well order your incubator anyway! Don't give up on them. But if they don't make it, you can get some more eggs from all your friends here on BYC...we're great enablers!
yippiechickie.gif

~Rebecca

How hot did it get ???? They might NOT be dead, I'm sure if they hatch they will be delayed a day or 2.... But they are 10 days old. You'd be surprised how strong they really are.

You have no feed stores in the area that carry a LG (most do) ??

Quote:
Well, it got up to 108, but I have no idea how long they were that high. They were at 83 at 5:30 this morning, and since adding the foil, they are up to 95. They seam to gain about 2 degrees every half hour. Because I can either have the light on or off, I put the heating pad on medium, and I will turn it down if it gets to over 100.

Dove

sounds like way too much work

My first batch of eggs came home with my daughter from a sleepover. She said "please mom, they are going to put them in the fridge". I said ok since we were planning on getting chickens next year
roll.png
. I just assumed since they were "going in the fridge" they were freshly laid. They sat around all day (about 70 degrees) while I went to the store and gathered the stuff to make a homemade bator. I got the cooler, added the light(with dimmer), fan and thermometer. I finally put them in before bed that night. I have never hatched or owned chickens before this. Well, after reading everything I expected to have chicks in 21 days. I turned daily, 3x. After 14 days I had a pip! Seems that there was a hen setting on most of the eggs. So most were turned up until they hatched. I had a hatch spread over the next week. Sometimes 2 a day, sometimes just 1. Out of 12 I had one that had a rough naval that died, 1 I helped and ended up killing and 1 infertile. We got 9 chicks total, and I did everything wrong in my ignorance. They hatched despite me. After being started then sitting around all day waiting for me to build the bator, turning up until the end on some, opening my bator a LOT. They are pretty strong....maybe you should just throw together a homemade bator for now, mine took about $30. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom