Help!!!!I lost some of my ducks because of rain ,can you help me

USA1

Hatching
6 Years
May 22, 2013
Hi ,
I got 15 ducks last week ,and put them out in a cage ,but it didnt have a good roof ,so it was raining and they got so wet ,then i got worried and went to them , some of them were flipped and were dying ,i took them inside and tried to warm them... and at the same day i lost 5 of them ,they died ,they were so wet and cold ,and yesterday ,though they were ok ,inside the Patio and no Rain , 1 other died , which i assume it was because of the rainy day...
anyway ,its my first time having ducks , they are about a month or a couple of months old , and im wondering why they couldnt survive the rain , shouldnt they be waterproof? why they got soaked? and died?
or maybe they are baby?still?
can you guys help me . im afraid to leave them to go to the lake now...

Hi ,
I got 15 ducks last week ,and put them out in a cage ,but it didnt have a good roof ,so it was raining and they got so wet ,then i got worried and went to them , some of them were flipped and were dying ,i took them inside and tried to warm them... and at the same day i lost 5 of them ,they died ,they were so wet and cold ,and yesterday ,though they were ok ,inside the Patio and no Rain , 1 other died , which i assume it was because of the rainy day...
anyway ,its my first time having ducks , they are about a month or a couple of months old , and im wondering why they couldnt survive the rain , shouldnt they be waterproof? why they got soaked? and died?
or maybe they are baby?still?
can you guys help me . im afraid to leave them to go to the lake now...
Do the ducks have feathers yet? If they are still fluff, they need a light still. Can you post a picture of them? What are the day time temps?

well ,right now i cannot take a pic of them , i may take tomorrow , about their feathers ,i think their wing is very small , and i really dont know about fluff much , the temp ,its Florida and not cold ,between 70 to 90 degree
i will make sure to send a pic tomorrow
i just didnt understand when you said ,they need a light
anyway ,thank u so much for reply

I had some ducklings last year that were inside and when I gave them water once they drank and flipped over went nuts and then died.

The link to duckling care will answer many of your questions.

Ducklings need to be kept warm and dry most of the time until they are grown. Baths are good, but they must be warm, and not very long, and the ducklings must be watched closely while they are in the tub, and placed in a warm dry brooder afterward.

here is the pic of the ducks ,please let me know if they have feathers or not

Oh goodness. No, they do not. They are just little babies.

One looks like he/she has some tail feathers growing....maybe. Yours need a light, for atleast another 2-3 weeks

This is a mallard about 6 or 7 weeks old now, still some down around it's head and under wings but dosn't need a light anymore.

Back
Top Bottom