Help I need a finishing touch!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chicken Charlotte, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    hello

I have 6 chickens and I want something fun for them they have got a big cage but they need something else like you no how rats have running weels and stuff i need something like that but for chickens any advise?

2. nuts4hotwheels

nuts4hotwheels Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I posted a similar topic a couple of weeks ago. Everybody suggested treats like hanging cabbage from a string

3. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I gave mine a cardboard box with the front cut out, a two-level roost and the occasional cake pan of dirt (worms included).

Jenny

4. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

i agree with both the previous posters, cabbage I've always heard is a good thing to keep them active and also reduces flock issues like pecking each other.

I have used the dirt and worm pies, or even throwing a handful of meal worms in a big mound of dirt or sand, chickens get a blast of scratching through the stuff and searching out the good stuff, then taking a dust bath afterwards.

I've gotten bored and while playing with my cats outside with a laser light, noticed the chickens would try to chase it as well...XD so I now go out on cloudy days or early mornings sometimes and play chase the light with the chickens. [​IMG]

5. FiveHens

FiveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Bring in some rakings from your yard in a box or throw them kitchen scraps.
    Ours shut up for carrot peels [​IMG]

6. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Quote:Hey thanks or your idea!

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Pull all your weeds and give them a big pile of weeds.

Watermelon, pumpkin (they eat the seeds too), cabbage, a head of broccoli, they love it all.

8. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    let them out for some free ranging [​IMG]
    that is what my chickens love

9. palochknldy

palochknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Palo, Iowa
    There is a Happy Hen Treat Ball that you add your greens to and hang it up and there is a bell at the bottom. You can find it online for $5.00.

10. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:I've got a suet cage that I use. It's a bit bigger than your standard suet holder. It's actually made for holding a small "flock block"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by