Help. I need an emotional support team.

janiedoe

Wrangler
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
May 7, 2017
East Texas
Omg. Yesterday was stressful. Today is worse and it's only 8:30 a.m.
I have four 22 week old cockrels. They are beautiful and friendly. I've been meaning to get rid of them but I've procrastinated because they ARE beautiful and friendly. Friendly to people that is.
Yesterday one of them (the most beautiful and friendliest) killed my 28 week old cockrel. It was so sudden! He also chased my old hen.
I read and watched videos half the night and decided how to cull him in the most humane way. This morning before daylight I took him off the roost and did this:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/how-to-humanely-euthanize-chicken-by-dr/
I swear I felt the neck stretch. I layed him gently down when I finished. He got up, shook his head, and ran away!!! 🥺
FAIL!
I am going to try again.

So sorry. :hugs Why not sell him to someone that will eat him?
I put an ad (for free roosters) on Craig's list but no takers so far. It's a shame. He is such a sweetie.None of these boys are human aggressive. I was hoping if I kept them away from the hens they'd get along but I guess not. 😞

Why n
Omg. Yesterday was stressful. Today is worse and it's only 8:30 a.m.
I have four 22 week old cockrels. They are beautiful and friendly. I've been meaning to get rid of them but I've procrastinated because they ARE beautiful and friendly. Friendly to people that is.
Yesterday one of them (the most beautiful and friendliest) killed my 28 week old cockrel. It was so sudden! He also chased my old hen.
I read and watched videos half the night and decided how to cull him in the most humane way. This morning before daylight I took him off the roost and did this:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/how-to-humanely-euthanize-chicken-by-dr/
I swear I felt the neck stretch. I layed him gently down when I finished. He got up, shook his head, and ran away!!! 🥺
FAIL!
I am going to try again.
I understand the stress, I had 4 cockrels and they were all the time chasing the chicks or chickens to mate (I'd hear frightened calls from the girls and run out) they sort of fought each other but thank God it never got to the point where they harmed each other.
We were able to sell ours.

But if you have no choice, have you given any thought to using a knife? Could you? I know I've given it thought and just as soon as I've researched enough on how to do it (heard that the best and most humane way to slaughter is to sever the neck in the front part because that's where the arteries that go to the brain are and the animal looses consciousness quiclky), I'd be willing to sacrifice a cockrel to eat it, things with the pandemic restrictions are turning very hard and sometimes cash is scarce to buy good quality meat (not willing to eat animals that have been treated in humanely, so we'd go for organic free-range meat or none at all); we are truly trying to go into a self sufficient mode here.

He's standing at the back door begging for food right now. 😪 I'm going to crate him until I work up my nerve to try again. My husband said shoot him but I'm afraid I'll miss.
I've only culled once before and it was a mercy killing. I cut the throat. It was awful. I won't do it that way again.
20210113_171121.jpg

Back
Top Bottom