HELP! I need some advice!

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by safarichick101, Jan 1, 2010.

1. safarichick101

safarichick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    College Station TX
    Okay. So I want quality birds but not excess quality males. I hate to cull so I don't think hatching my own eggs is the way to go but it seems like the good breeders only sell hatching eggs which is fine its just I don't know what to do about the males because my land is limited and noise is of issue. I can only take so many roosters. Does anyone have any solutions?

2. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    You might consider ordering day old chicks from a hatchery, in this way you order what you want. I ordered 3x last year from a hatchery and got all pullets like I ordered.

3. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Sorry, for quality breeds it is best to go through a breeder not a hatchery and most breeders don't sex their chicks even if they do sell day old chicks. Learn to cull or find a friend that will do the deed or one that needs a couple roos of the breed you are looking at. I feel for you because I am in the same boat. Can't have roos 'cause I live in the middle of the city and I'm expecting some ameraucanas (straight run) in spring. Just hoping I can find homes for the roos before they start crowing!

4. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    You could buy pullets/hens (5 months old or older) from a breeder. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by